Author Topic: Wren's nest  (Read 1730 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Wren's nest
« on: May 01, 2007, 23:09:13 »
A few weeks ago a wren built in a bundle of garlic plaits hanging from my shed roof. The males build multiple nests, and the female picks one to lay in, so as there was no visible activity, I assumed that this was one that wasn't being used. Not I'm seeing them flying in and out all the time.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Wren's nest
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:06:43 »
amazing how they can 'knit' nests..lovely little things  ;D

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:16:26 »
 :) beautiful,

a wrens built a nest in a ball of string hung up in my shed, had to buy more string!/shadesx
grow your own way

Marian

• Quarter Acre
  • Thank God for my garden !
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 13:19:16 »
That is so sweet!!  Long tail tits also build very sweet nests made of moss and other materials. 

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 23:13:53 »
Interesting to hear the males build more than one nest. We have two nest boxes inthe garden and i have seen a wren going first to one box and then to the other. I thought it was a male with two wives or a wife and a girl friend. I then saw ablue tit going into one of the boxes as well - so whats going on ?

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:11:00 »
Beautiful pic of the nest Rob, very interesting to look at and see how they made it.

I had a wren that made up a nest in my hanging basket for about four years on the run, he made one every single year.

I swear each May he would sit and watch me make the baskets and as soon as it was hung, he was off, busy working away.

They never actually laid eggs in it as like you say they make ten or so nests and then the 'wife' chooses her favourite, but for some odd reason he did use it every day, he was always in there, particularly at night~maybe Mummy wren prefferred the single parent life  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal