Author Topic: Self seeded  (Read 1143 times)

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
Self seeded
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:50:49 »
Just noticed that a couple of my hostas have little baby seedlings around them! I don't remember this happening before - (its probably due to me not cutting the dead flowers off until much later than usual  :-[). Do you think it's worth potting them up? Might I get something a bit different from the parents?

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
Re: Self seeded
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:05:02 »
I really don't know anything about Hostas and don't particularly like them either but I don't see any reason not to pot them up just to see what happens. They were freebies after all and surely it's better to give them a chance to grow and show their true colours than risk them ending up as slug food  ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: Self seeded
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:38:32 »
If you can leave them where they are for the summer they would be happiest but will transplant easily. The first year they do not get very large but will enable you to see which ones look best. As hybrids, they will probably not be true to the parent and are usually plain green but if you have the time and space and you like hostas it is always worth having a try. One day we may be able to have Grandma beside the Big Daddy. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal