Author Topic: my manure covering clay example :)  (Read 2009 times)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
my manure covering clay example :)
« on: May 26, 2004, 09:13:49 »
Hi all.

I know there was a bit of banter recently about covering clay or bad soil with some manure for the year.  I did it last year and the soil this year is 2000% better and dug easily.  I only did 1/3rd of each plot though, and this year doing another 3rd of each, and going 1 step better and planting gourds in it.  I did some yesterday and today so thought I'd share it with you all :)

Sooooo I dug 12" cubed holes, 2ft apart in all directions (for courgettes first - I know its a bit close for pumpkin & squash but I might stick to it anyways and limit the fruits).  I filled these with manure and soil mixed to make a low mound.  It took 1 barrow to do the 4 holes (big barrow well rotted manure).

Then I just barrowed manure to mulch all around.  Took 3 or 4 barrows.  I will make a big hole in the top of each mound and fill with potting compost to stick the seeds in (as I couldnt start them at home - no room).  As the soil is just too sticky to germinate a seed in.

This is the soil that I tried digging which I am covering with the manure.  I dug this bit about a month ago and have looked after it just like I do any other bit.  But it goes rock hard a day after any rain.  Breaking it up was almost impossible - actually today while digging the holes, I bent the end of a spade only stuck in 1/2 a spit - its rock hard clay!!).

This is the soil I had covered with manure last year and left practically idle.  I got a big flush of annual weeds (probably from the manure) but there was no more perennials than there was before manuring IMHO.

As you can see the difference is remarkable!!!  So I personally recommend it.  I suspect I will need to top it up mid-late summer, because of the squashes (which I will break up and mulch over end of season).  But its free and improves the soil much better than carpet or plastic!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:my manure covering clay example :)
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 09:19:33 »
Nice one, gives me hope as I have covered large parts of my plot with manure.

Jeremy

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 09:44:10 »
So do you just cover the plot with manure and leave it? Or do you cover the manure with something like polythene or carpet? How much manure did you use to cover? Sorry to ask so many questions I'm a complete novice. ;)

kingkano

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 10:15:21 »
Very much so Jeremy.  Just pile it on ;) The better rotted it is - the better I reckon!!  If you use fresh stuff, pile it on thick, and remember to top it up a few times because it compacts down alot.

No problem sarahr.  Question away, I am quite a novice myself  ;)  I did just pile it on summer last year (not this early I must say).  In winter I piled a bit of compost on from my heap and a little fresh manure and left it again.  Then I dug it all through in spring to aerate and remove perennials.

You could stick carpet over the top I spose, it would keep the heat in nicely and compost it down I bet!! - but I didnt bother (but I didnt grow anything in it last year either), I needed the carpet for the bits I didnt manure  ::)  Anything that lets the water in would be nice.  Maybe some of the experts would comment on that  ;D  If I see a big weed popup I do chop it off too, just so it wont seed  >:(

My manure is quite well rotted (as you can probably see) and I did it about ankle deep for now.  I'd say as deep as your arms and back can take ;)  I'll probably add the same again by winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal