Author Topic: silly question !  (Read 2605 times)

wilko

• Acre
  • Crowle
silly question !
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:59:18 »
 ::) you must be the guys to ask, is it better to keep eggs in the fridge or out ? :-\
Life is to short !!!

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
Re: silly question !
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 19:43:26 »
i dont keep mine in the fridge and they still last four weeks or so  when you buy them in a shop where do they keep em ? ive not seen any in a fridge so that will do me  vas long as they are kept cool not in direct sunlight i think they will be ok  regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 21:26:42 »
I don't keep mine in the fridge either. I find them better to do boiled eggs as they don't crack when put into boiling water.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 21:29:08 »
I don't keep mine in the fridge either [seems to be the concensus] I have wondered about it though but as Rosy says they never crack when boiled - also better for baking to have them at room temperature.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 21:50:25 »
We keep ours in the fridge, but we never boil them.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 22:26:20 »
IF you put them in the fridge they MUST STAY there until you eat them/cook them. Bacteria will be a problem if you put them in fridge and then leave them out.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 23:34:53 »
We put ours in the fridge. One of my  hen book states that eggs can lose up to 2 weeks shelf life at room temperature from when fresh compared to being in a fridge.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 22:05:11 »
I dont keep mine in the fridge either but on the top in plasitc ventalited egg tray.
If you dont wash the egg it will last longer, the protected film the hen leaves on the egg seals it, but if you do have to  wash a egg use it up fairly quick as it will start to age.

FrankG

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 22:39:47 »
Hi and  Hello to all (first post) I have read on a couple of poultry forums that if you need to clean eggs use a warn damp cloth. If it is cold the menbrane in the egg will shrink drawing contamiation in though the shell. If it is warmer than the egg it wiill expand and push contamiation out. So if you chill them it could contamiate the eggs.

Frank

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 16:23:19 »
Thanks Frank, that sounds sensible. 

Welcome to the forum too.  :)

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 16:28:52 »
hi everyone.  someone told be the same as frank about the eggs. i have also read that when the eggs cool  they draw in smells from other items in the fridge and this will make them taste odd! also eggs are ment to be stored pointy end down!! got no idea why! xx

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 17:20:43 »
hi everyone.  someone told be the same as frank about the eggs. i have also read that when the eggs cool  they draw in smells from other items in the fridge and this will make them taste odd! also eggs are ment to be stored pointy end down!! got no idea why! xx

Think I know - it's cos the air space is at the round end so storing pointy end down prevents it being squashed.  :)

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 19:03:48 »
i learn some good stuff on here! isnt ther a test you can do to check if eggs are off? isnt a good egg supposed to float or sink. xx

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 19:31:25 »
laid eggs last about 4-5 weeks... to test an egg put it in  a bowl of cold water - bad eggs willl float! due to the gases

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal