Author Topic: Tart Normandy  (Read 1476 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Tart Normandy
« on: May 19, 2007, 19:13:32 »

Hi Guys,

Hubbie just made the most wonderful pie which hes taken from elizabeth david book.

I would suggest that you make 2 as there yummy!!

Ingrediants
Pommes Au Beurre
700g Sweet apple peeled & Cored
60g Butter
3tbsp caster suger
small glass of calvados

Pastry
170g plain flour
85g butter
3 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp ice cold water
pinch of salt

Slice the apples thinly and evenly.
Melt the butter in a frying pan.
Put in your apple slices, add the caster sugar and cook gently until the apples are pale golden and transparent. Pour calvados over set light to it and shake the pan until flames die down.

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C, Greese 8inch tin with a little butter.

Shift the flour, salt and sugar together. Rub the butter into a dry mix until crumbly, Add the cold water to moisten. Shape the mixture into a ball and immediately place int the tin, spreading it with fingers. Brush edges with milk, arrange apples without juice in overlapping circles. Keep a nice peice for centre. Bake for 25-30 min.

When ready reheat the juices. Remove he tin from the oven and add some of the juices on the top of the apples aling with a sprinkling of caster sugar.

Return to the oven for one Min.

Lock kitchen door remove pie and leave to cool.

Cut into slices and eat yours, unlock the door and let the rest of the family in!!

We had some apple left over so hes made a boozy apple sauce for the pork hes having tommorrow :-)

Cambourne7

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Tart Normandy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 19:22:37 »
Elizabeth David is brilliant! She taught me to cook. (Well - not her personally, you understand!) Unlike Delia, her recipes are often vague - and sometimes incorrect - but they work and she inspires you to cook. If anyone doesn't have a copy of her "French Provincial Cooking" (my first two copies have fallen apart long ago) then get hold of one and find out what you've been missing!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 19:34:32 »
Yep my hubbie reads it whenever he needs insperation.

Hes spent all morning working out what the recipie might be, and quite chuffed with himself he got it working.

He loves Bill Granger &  heston blumenthal as well have you tried there recipies?

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 19:51:12 »
Never heard of Bill Granger. Can't get my head round Heston - can't think why you should want to spend two days making mashed potato. (Or any time at all making snail porage or egg & bacon ice cream.) But obviously a highly talented chef.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 20:01:24 »
I am going to post a few recipies tonight so i will post a nice BG one that i have adapted for breakfast bread great for nibbling on with a cup of tea on the lotty.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal