Author Topic: Protea seedlings  (Read 2562 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Protea seedlings
« on: May 25, 2004, 22:27:11 »
Anyone with a flare for the exotics......I have 4 protea seedlings all growing in the greenhouse but need to know what to do now.  This is the 4th time I have managed to get the seeds to germinate, and they grow great guns, then up and die!  Any of you have any luck and can point me in the right direction?  I would love to keep them going this time.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
Re:Protea seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 09:13:54 »
You mean you've got room to grow protea EJ as well as all your other exotics???  Green with envy - they are such beautiful plants.  Can't give any advice though, sorry, no experience of them, but will be interested to hear how you get on with them.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 22:23:37 »
Sorry EJ ...never grown them, but just browsing to see what I'm missing out on  ;)   ;D......and found this info for you ........
Hope it helps!

Most proteacious spp have specialized roots that are adapted to relatively arid soil, acid low in nutrients. Therefore applying nutrients, especially phosphorus, to the roots can have serious consequences (South FL soils are naturally high in Phosphorus). It may be best not to apply fertilizers to the area where they will be planted. If the plants appear to be struggling, slow release fertilizers low in phosphorus can be lightly applied. The roots are usually most active in spring and fall. They are not drought tolerant as commonly treated. Lack of water after the plant has been stressed by flowering or excess water can lead to certain death. Neither should they be wet. The soil can be coarse or fine but must be exceedingly fast draining (the kind of soil you choose probably depends on where you will grow it - more coarse in wet climates, finer in dry). Once established, many will tolerate dry periods according to their natural cycle. Most proteas prefer acid soils with a pH of 3.5 to 6.5. A few Protea spp prefer slightly alkaline conditions (suggesting you should learn the exact requirements of the sp you intend to grow.). Full sun; Avoid crowding. hard pruning of certain types is highly beneficial (to make up for seasonal fires).
Propagation can be easy or difficult even within closely related spp. Many must be propagated vegetatively (i.e. cuttings, mossings, grafting, tissue culture). Some protea seed can remain viable for very long periods - especially if they have a hard coat. However, the fresher the seed the faster it is to germinate and the higher the rate of success. Sew in autumn. To break dormancy, soak in warm water. For some seed, soaking in hydrogen peroxide for 24 hours is effective. Seeds are sown in free-draining but moisture-retaining medium like leaf mold, peat, coarse sand and pumice. Cover the seed only lightly - never more than the the thickness of the seed. Transplant seedlings into small pots in early spring after the first set of true leaves have developed.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 22:26:03 by MagpieDi »
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 23:13:02 »
Oh boy.....so the long and the short of it is, they could be hard, or they could be easy...they might like to be wet, or they might like to be dry.....they might like it acid, or the might like it alkaline.  No wonder I can get them to germinate, then kill 'em!  Okay, shall have to do some serious investigations.  Am determined to keep 'em alive!   Thanks Di.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 02:34:48 »
Silver Hill Seeds provide some instructions on their web site. If they are not out collecting seed they have proved very generous with their time in answering my questions. Rachel has a doctorate in a plant science (I forget which) and knows her stuff.

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 14:27:32 »
Proteas were on Gardeners World last week, maybe there will be something on the BBC website.

ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 14:52:42 »
Thanks Ten, didn't see it as we were biking to Wales  ;D.  

Oh, and Ten, still no capers!  I shall wait.....wonder how long they take to germinate...will have to google later.  What about you Stephan??

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 22:10:51 »
Ha ha!  Info about as clear as mud then EJ  ;D  .......but for gawd sake don't plant them in it !!   ;)   ::)
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 01:52:58 »
I should probably have posted this:
http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/ByCategory.asp
it does give some specific growing instructions for different species.
You might also want to web search the word fynbos. This word is the Afrikaans for the conditions most proteas grow in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal