Author Topic: Why are our roses dying?  (Read 1604 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Why are our roses dying?
« on: April 30, 2007, 12:41:31 »
On a whim, we bought four scented roses to plant along the edge of the lottie.  They were planted according to instructions at the beginning of the year.  In March, all four started to show signs of life, but one of them sickened and died.  The leaves turned brown and the whole plant seemed to dry up.  Some of the stems went a very dark colour.

Now two of the remaining three are showing similar symptoms.  Some of the leaves have gone brown and dried up, and the stems are darkening in the affected areas.  The one remaining healthy one is also much larger than the two sickly ones.

We are absolute novices at growing roses.  We'd be really grateful for any advice.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
Re: Why are our roses dying?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 13:16:45 »
Hello

I had the same problem with cheap rose bushes i purchased a couple years ago from Wilkinson's they wasn't very happy, I spoke to the rose society and they advised me that if you buy cheap roses you get what you pay for, My friend purchased a couple last year from b&q and they wasn't cheap but they lasted a couple of months before dying.

Have a look at this site http://www.rosebuddies.com/problems.html.

I have over 40 rose bushes in my garden and since then i have had no problems, apart from the normal ones like black spot and black and green fly.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 13:55:50 »
Brogusblue, thanks for the link.  That's the best summary of rose problems that I've seen.

But whatever we've got doesn't seem to be pictured there at all.  I thought at first it might be drought, but the symptoms are that some leaf shoots are affected and some (at first) are not, even on the same stem.  If the bushes were short of water, I'd expect them to die back more evenly, not in patches.

And they were mail order from David Austin, so not a cheapie.

Brogusblue

• Acre
  • I love roses and have nearly 80 of them.
    • SRS - Shredder Repair Services
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 14:46:01 »
Hello

I would compain to david austin you never know they might replace the roses, I compained to world of roses about a rose and they replaced it for me.Just looked on there site in there terms it reads "Guarantee
We aim to supply roses of the highest quality. However with living plants, problems occasionally arise. If, on receipt of the roses, any are damaged, or if they fail to grow in the first 12 months we will replace them free of charge. We cannot be responsible for adverse weather conditions or for circumstances beyond our control."

I would ring them an complain also fib a little like i purchased this roses as a friend of mine recommend you to me as the best rose supplier and now this happen i am very dissapointed in the results or something like that.

If you are looking for any roses again i would recommend a ebay user called "vanrob14" Her roses have done me proud i had purchased at lease 25-30 off her and no problems i don't if she has listed any roses yet but well worth it.

Cheers
Brogusblue
I have been infected by the "rose virus"  ... I have surrendered to my addiction gracefully. There's no recovery"   On the other hand, imagine life without roses – a dreadful thought!

The Royal National Rose Society
                                     www.rnrs.org

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 15:54:39 »
Sorry to hear about your problems.  Yes, do contact David Austin.  I've a problem with a David Austin rose too but it's now over two years old so out of 'warranty'.  Anyone else had a rose that looks perfectly healthy but doesn't flower?

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 20:26:31 »
 :)

David Austin are very good at replaceing roses and you don't have to fib!!

I bought a 4 for 3 special offer with them and one rose died, Gertrude Jekyll just e-mail them your order no, ref no and what happened to your rose and they will replace it FOC,

I also buy Wilkos £1 roses and I find they are great, I  have Mister Lincoln,Blue Moon and Iceberg all in bud and looking great,they get a treat of horse manure in the Spring / shades x
grow your own way

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:22:42 »
Thanks everyone.  That's good advice.

I've taken some pictures of the good, the bad, and the ugly, and I'll send a polite email to David Austin.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 10:07:13 »
Gaaagh. Roses! They are susceptible to all sorts as well as mite, flies etc. They also get something called die-back, canker, rust, powdery mildew, crown gall, honeyfungus, soil sickness and downy mildew and viruses.
I would just complain too and get your money back!
In fairness to wilkos etc i have several roses that all cost peanuts and they've always been fine. I don't think they are more prone to death and disease than a more pricey one. It's probably luck more than anything and I'd suspect they arrived with whatever is killing them.
They do need loads of space for their roots when you plant them. You need to dig a really big hole.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal