Author Topic: moth traps  (Read 1558 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
moth traps
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:21:28 »
it says put these up mid may, with this weather, do I put them out early or do the moths know when to fly ?, any ideas, anyone ?  :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: moth traps
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 21:06:32 »
They know very well when to fly; are you after any specific sort?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 21:19:06 »
the ones that cause the holes in apples and plums, the traps have pheremone stuff in, already got grease bands for the ones crawling up so the flying ones I hope, e can afford to lose some of the apples but when they start having a go at the plums, it's war  ;D

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 21:26:36 »
I wanted to ask the exact same question. I have a moth trap for pear trees. The instructions say put it out middle of May.
I don't have a trap for my plum tree, but have read in an RHS book that plum trees should be sprayed against moths 7 to 10 days after petal fall, so I sprayed my Victoria plum with liquid derris last Friday.
The pear tree is now a few days past petal fall, so logically the pear moth should be out in another few days, not middle of May??? I think I will put the trap out tomorrow and see what I catch! I'll spray if I catch lots of moths.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 21:33:03 »
sounds like a good plan, dandelion, I'll wait, i think, for the weekend and the warmer weather coming back  :)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 18:11:04 »
I found one dead moth in the trap after 1 day, 2 more after the 2nd day. According to the instructions on the trap 15 moths caught a week means a heavy infestation. I'll keep monitoring the trap and will probably start spraying when I've caught 10 or more moths.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 19:18:38 »
yes, put it out yesterday, dead one this morning  :)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 20:12:03 »
Already 3 new ones in the trap tonight! And It's only 8 pm! looks like I'll be spraying the tree tomorrow.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal