Author Topic: Red ants, horrible horrible things....  (Read 9265 times)

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Red ants, horrible horrible things....
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 21:16:23 »
I came across red ants for the first time on my first allotment when I took it on 3 years ago. they bit me - it hurt but thought nothing of it - I am now allergic too them and when i get bitten now I feel really unwell for at least a week.  So if anyone out there does know of a killer for these - please let me know and I will be your friend forever. (Hopefully this is a good thing and not a bad thing!)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 22:14:38 »
I've been on the allotment today and weeding my salad bed I disturbed a couple of ant nests.  Are they harmful to the veg growing or any other seeds I sow or can I just leave alone?   :-\
I'd say if they're not bothering you, leave them alone. Life's too short to pick a fight with all wildlife! :-)
On my allotment there are more ants than veg - black ants, red ants, orangey ants and even small yellow ants, which my friends tells me are endangered... or something. I don't like being bitten but it doesnt happen often luckily.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 17:33:25 »
My globe and jerusalem artichokes were both covered in ants today. I could see lots of aphids on the globe ones, which explained the ants, but no aphids on the jersalem ones. do they actually do any harm?

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 12:31:22 »
I have red ants too (ouch) but have not tried to get rid of them as I'm not aware they damage crops (so far they've only damaged me), but do they?

Also, I wondered if they would perhaps deter slugs, as they're everywhere in my brasicca patch. I have no scientific basis whatsoever for thinking this but if they do, they're staying!

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2007, 14:04:30 »
They've started an aphid farm on one of my gooseberry bushes! The cheeky things. That's it, they're going - I'm breaking out the cinnamon, and soapy water for the aphids.  >:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal