Author Topic: Cycle lane petition  (Read 2501 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
Cycle lane petition
« on: April 27, 2007, 16:46:39 »
I'm hoping since we're all 'green' here that there will be some folks that might sign this. The government's first amendment was defeated but the latest amendments to the Highway Code are still stating that cyclists must use cycle lanes 'where possible'.

As someone who has been hit by a car twice while in a cycle lane (once the driver figured I was in my 'lane' and so gave me no additional clearance, once when the driver didn't see the sign stating that cycle traffic crossed from both directions). If you cycle you'll know that while there are good cycle lanes (and I'm happy to use them when there are!) there are far too many that are just too narrow, end in the middle of nothing leaving you to join traffic from a random point (rather than a safe point like a junction), or simply put pedestrians or the cyclist in unsafe positions. GOOD cycle lanes are great but this change to the code would make cyclists 2nd class road citizen: still bearing full responsibility as vehicles yet not having full rights to the road. There has already been one case where a cyclist had to fight insurers in court because he decided to stay on the road where he felt he was safer. The change gives insurers the chance to blame a cyclist in an accident if a cycle lane, however poor, was available and they chose the road. The amendment takes away a cyclist's choice of deciding on where they are safest.

There are bad cyclists out there, I admit. But most of us are just trying to get somewhere, as the tv ad says. Please help us prevent the government from making our choice of a healthier, greener transport not put us in a dangerous position, healthwise or legalwise.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/roads4bikes/

Thanks all! If you disagree that's fine. Just don't hit me, thanks. :)

sarah

• Hectare
Re: Cycle lane petition
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 19:56:59 »
there was an interesting article in the times yesterday or the day before about how a larger number of female cyclists are being killed in urban areas compared to males because they (females)are more likely to follow the letter of the law with regards to red lights and can become 'invisible' to HGV drivers, and hang back in their blind spot. men apparently are more likely to risk red lights in an attempt to avoid this problem and are thus less likely to be involved in  fatal colisions when pulling away from lights. 

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 20:55:53 »
That is interesting, I'm a stickler for the rules! Though I'm always very aware of staying out of blind spots but probably because I'm a driver too, so I try to think like the driver.

One of the agencies/groups (CTC possibly? I can't remember) also did a survey on who gives cyclists the most room. It was oddly interesting. No 1 was people without helmets (many drivers said they assumed cyclists with helmets were more experienced! Shocking! Surely beginners should always wear helmets), No 2 was women. I've found that cycling in a skirt all drivers do seem to give me a lot more room. So I just wear the snazzy padded lycra under the skirt.  ;D

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 21:19:08 »
Hi Timelady.

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, I have signed. You are right, the Cyclists' Touring Club is  the place for this sort of info.www.ctc.org.uk .

Peter Rowell, webmaster, CTC Cambridge DA website   www.ctc-cambridge.org.uk
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 13:54:02 »
Yup, signed that one - anyone who has cycled in Holland will know what a huge difference it makes to have decent cycle lanes (and they are sight better than "decent" in Holland!)

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 14:36:32 »
I have signed and as a regular cyclist agree with the comments.
When I got knocked off my bike I rang cheshire police to report a fail to stop accident and was initialy told that cyclists had no rights and I would have to wait to see if the van driver reported the accident

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 15:14:53 »
I was knocked off my bike and injured 18 months ago by a moped.  It wasn't my fault, but the police said they couldn't prosecute as there wasn't enough evidence despite there being eye witnesses saying it was the mopeds fault.  I did manage to claim compensation for my injuries though.  But if this bill was to come in, it's quite possible that I wouldn't be able to claim any compensation if it happened again as there was a cycle crossing point to the road, but I was instead cycling safely, doing all the right things to turn right, but on the road.  I always use the crossing point now as I'm still a little scared of mopeds, but I do believe that I should be able to chose what I feel best.

So I shall go and sign it now.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 15:33:13 »
I'm happy to sign. I live in a town which believes painting an eighteen inch red strip along the edge of an existing carriageway is a cycle lane. They are also keen on the lethal red circle around a roundabout concept. Since I use a bike as daily transport including getting to the lotty along roads that feature both the aformentioned horrors I am with you 100%.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 15:38:17 »
I have just gone to sign and for some reason the form will not accept my perfectly valid email address ???. I will try again later.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 16:00:48 »
Well, I've signed it, because I agree with the spirit of the petition.

But, for goodness sake, why do people create petitions with careless typos in them?  It makes the petitioner and his supporters appear illiterate.

And, even more important, surely we don't imagine that the Prime Minister approves the Highway Code personally?  A bit of research would have been in order to find out who in the Department for Transport is responsible, and petition the PM to hold them to account.  As it stands, the petition can be casually rejected on the grounds that the PM has no power to carry it out.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 16:20:17 »
Done
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 16:23:33 »
I have signed and as a regular cyclist agree with the comments.
When I got knocked off my bike I rang cheshire police to report a fail to stop accident and was initialy told that cyclists had no rights and I would have to wait to see if the van driver reported the accident

You should have asked for persons indentity at the Police HQ, referring to the Road Traffic Act of 187X, it clearly states that a cycle (in its various forms) is a vehicle within the meaning of the Act. A cyclist has the same rights as any other road user. The Queen's Highway is for the use of all subjects of the Queen and their guests. The only roads which are not the Queen's Highway are Motorways (and private roads).
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 07:54:48 »
I would sign it if it had a clause saying 'anybody silly lycra shorts are not covered'.

I chucked the old tread iron away years ago, far to dangerous, give me a fast motor cycle any day.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal