Author Topic: Help! me rhubarb has disappeared!  (Read 4125 times)

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
Help! me rhubarb has disappeared!
« on: May 25, 2004, 09:12:33 »
When we got our lottie the first thing we did was to dig over a plot to create a fruit plot.

In this we planted some black and red currant bushes, an apple tree and a rhubarb crown.

All is flourishing except the rhubarb.  We bought it from Wilko's and it had one tiny little stem of rhubarb growing from it.  About a week after we planted it this single stem withered and went!

It has been about 4 months now and there is absolutely nothing there.  

Firstly what should we do?  We love rhubarb.

Secondly I popped over to a friends house the other day because he wants to turn part of his garden into a veg/fruit plot and he wanted some advise on what to do.  He has got several crowns which are basically taking over the whole area he wants to convert.

And he hates rhubarb!  Isn't it ironic.

Would it be possible to take his crowns up and plant them at mine.  Some of the stems are about 5' tall and look like they have flowered/seeded would this be right?

Les
 ???
All the hard work is finally starting to pay off.....

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
Re:Help! me rhubarb has disappeared!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 09:44:48 »
I got an alloty 5 years ago with no rhubarb on it. So on the waste ground that had plots on years ago I went in search of some crowns, I tried digging some up but all I got was pieces breaking off. I planted those and now have 7/8 seperate crowns all lovely by the way. Good luck transplanting.
                    jock_edin

rdak

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 20:50:30 »
I got 3 crowns from Wilkos as well- all came to nothing! Guess you get what you pay for!

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 08:38:08 »
Thats what I was thinking Ross.  Guess I'll just have to take my mates crowns and get them going.

Has anyone else had this problem with Wilko rhubarb crowns?

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 08:44:20 »
Yes same here.Like Ross says you gets what you pays for .it would have been cheaper to buy from somewhere else in the first place.But not having a car i cant get to a nursery very easily.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

OP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 13:36:57 »
when we took over our lotty last year (mares tail and ground elder covered - horrible thing.  An ongoing project...) we had no rhubarb.  Now I personally hate the stuff, but my friend who I share the lottie with loves it.  He bought a plant,thena  week later we spotted a couple of old looking croowns in the hedge. There wasa one massive old dry looking one which split into 3.  Each of those got planted and now they're looking far far happier than the one he bought :)

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 17:22:19 »
Best to lift a mature rhubarb crown between October and March.  Divide it into pieces, each with at least one bud, and plant afresh with plenty well-rotted manure or compost.

They'll look a bit weedy the first year - don't harvest that first year - but should then romp away?

Good luck - Gavin

Les_Woof

• Acre
  • Ger orf ma land!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 08:29:25 »
Thanks Gavin.

i was going to go this weekend and pillage all his rhubarb and lift the crowns......glad you got in touch

Thanks m8

Les

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal