Author Topic: On A Mission  (Read 3503 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
On A Mission
« on: April 26, 2007, 20:17:34 »
There is a chap at our allotment site that never uses his plot, in the four years I've had mine last year was the only time he has done any work on his and then he only cultivated the top 1/5 (see image 1) and everything he planted was let go to seed, to make matters worse he has "stolen" most of a half plot at the side of his plot making it no more than a path. (see image 2)

Image 1

The weeds are where Barton planted out last year.

Image 2

As you can see (thanks Tracy) there is no point trying with this tiny space.

Image 3

The land Barton doesn't use.

Well I'm not having it, so today I rang kirklees council and explained the situation to a very nice lady called Leelee and asked what could be done about it and she promised that if I took photographic evidence of what I'd told her she would sort it out, I'm not sure if Barton will be kicked of the site (I live in hope) but even if someone can get the half plot it will be a success.

On another matter there is a waiting list for plots with 18 names on, having done a little investigating I discovered kirklees council owns the field adjoining the allotments so while on the phone to them I asked why this field couldn't also be used for allotments (it would get the 18 needed to empty the waiting list with room to spare) and Leelee told me that the field was owned be another department of the council so it can't be used (who are they kidding?) well my email will be sent out tonight and will be asking for the field to be given over for allotments and copies will be sent to every counciler in the area.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: On A Mission
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 20:30:20 »
good on you, mickw, it needs more people to take an active role to keep allotments in the hands of people who want them, the council's probably keeping the land for housing, more money than veggies, hope you get it all  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 22:39:58 »
All power to your typing fingers MickW. Good luck.
Smile, it confuses people.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 17:24:12 »
HI MickW

Hit them where it hurts, get the local press involved there always sniffing around for local stories.

Go get them!!

Cambourne7

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 17:36:07 »
I wonder if life was ever designed to be easy.

Maybe on that new planet??

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 19:21:29 »
GO GETTEM!  ;D

It really piss*s me off to see good ground going to waste.

My latest campaign is to re-gain about a quarter of an acre directly across the road from our allotment site.

There was originally a farmhouse on it with adjacent land. The farmhouse was grade 1 listed. The land was bought by a local building company and DESPITE the fact that the building was listed, they knocked it down  >:( Consequently they can't get permission to rebuild on the land so it's just 'sat there' waiting to be cultivated.

Oh and don't get me started about our Council and allotment sites!

We rent 2 sites off the council - run by an Association (about 200 plots)

Inbetween our site and the other is a HUGE space that is 'supposedly' allotment plots owned by the council - never been used for at least 15 yrs. When I was secretary I offered to take on the plots, run them through our Association but ONLY if they would clear them (vastly overgrown with brambles etc)

They refused. Too much money. So the potential site of another 50+ allotments goes to waste.

Makes me MAD  >:(

Now it's just
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 19:49:03 »
You know Trixiebelle, I have just come to the conclusion that is I am ever in a real crisis I would really enjoy you being on my side. !!! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 21:38:32 »
Second that Jeannine!
Power to the people Mick. How ridiculous if there are people waiting that the land should just sit there? Oh I do love a good campaign!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 07:47:38 »
can you squat on a plot (not taking the pee out of your pic Mick - heh all the rhymes are coming out today eh?) but if old Barton boy has done jack on his plot, how about the waiting list 18, just start working on his empty land, move the posts of the stolen bit and take up arms ?

just a thought  ;D

wishing you luck Mick.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 22:10:44 »
The squatting thing is something I've thought abiut but our allotment secretary said if I advised such action he'd kick me off my plot (same he isn't that firm all the time).

I have spoken to a few people on the waiting list and informed them of the situation (re the field etc) and they are now going to call the council too, I'm also thinking about contacting our local paper to see if they would run the story.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 21:10:52 »
I just thought I'd give you an update on this....

Next week two of the councils top brass are coming to the allotments to talk to me and judging from what they said on the phone not only are they taking the half plot back from Barton but they are also going to give us the field which means every singe person on our waiting list will have a plot within weeks.

MacArthur Park

• Quarter Acre
  • Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 21:58:59 »
Up the Diggers!! ;)

Well done Mick, it's great to see Kirklees actually listening to people. If I have any issues on my site I could well turn to you for advice!

...Infact...I was saying to the secretary the other day that the saplings growing up against our wall would be bringing it down soon. He said he'd tried to get them felled, but Kirklees say the strip of land belongs to the housing association next to it while they claim it belongs to Kirklees. I immediately said I would claim it as mine as it would soon solve the argument. The more i think about it, the more I wish I knew how to do it!!! :)

Keep up the good work - there are going to be 18 people seriously grateful!

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 22:23:09 »
Where is your plot mate? it may be worth having a word while I have their ear.

If nobody is willing to claim them and they arn't too big I'd be inclined to dig them out but then leave them in situe  to save you from being charged with theft.

Just looking at your location are you Near The Should Of Mutton?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 22:27:36 by MickW »

MacArthur Park

• Quarter Acre
  • Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 23:18:01 »
Not far from the Shoulder, on Moorlands Rd. The houses were built on the old Dewsbury hospital site, so I reckon it must have belonged to Kirklees - I guess they reckon they sold all the land right up to the allotments wall, but the houses have gardens with fencing that ends about 10 feet from the wall. The idea of taking them down and leaving them sounds plausible, thanks.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 09:18:44 »
Well done, Mick! Bet you're really proud of yourself, and so you should be.That definitely merits an article in the local paper!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 17:02:45 »
brilliant, mick, well done, you  ;D

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 09:52:49 »
Good for you, well done. There should be a lot of happy new allotmenteers thanks to your work!
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Sajaself

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 10:11:40 »
What a better place the world would be if we had more people like you Mick!!
To often people just turn their backs on problems. I bet you have made a lot of people happy who are waiting for plots. WELL DONE!

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 20:43:34 »
POWER TO THE PEOPLE
Nice one Mick, that's a lot of happy plotters off the waiting list and the land is put to use.
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 21:57:40 »
Thanks for all your kind words guys and gals, I'll let you know what happens.

MacArthur Park, I'm going to pop by your allotment and have a look at your problem so I can have a word for you.

Bugger MacArthur Park I lived less than two minutes from your allotments and forgot where they were.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 22:41:34 by MickW »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal