Author Topic: Swollen Hands  (Read 19899 times)

Superstar

• Not So New ...
Swollen Hands
« on: April 25, 2007, 20:46:34 »
I wasn't sure where to put this item - so here it is.

After a very lazy winter, over the last few weeks I have been working very hard on the lottie with lots and lots of digging.  The end result has been swollen hands and slightly numb finger tips.

I just wondered if anyone else suffered from this?
Give me strength - please!

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
Re: Swollen Hands
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 21:00:03 »
Sorry to hear about your hands - can't help with the question - I hope that they soon clear up

Jenfur

• Quarter Acre
  • Eaton Bray, Beds
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 21:04:07 »
I'm a physio, but not much experience of garden related injuries...the numbness is probably temporary nerve bruises from the shocks on your palms. Swelling might be due to this too, but I've never heard of it being a big problem before. Just keep hands warm and moving if possible xx

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 21:21:08 »
Do you garden in normal gloves or plastic gloves.  Might be a silly question but my lottie neighbour gardens in Marigolds.  If it's the latter that might be the problem. I've had this once and that was the first year of my plot where I did too much digging, pulling weeds and the like as I took it on in June.  The weather has been June like recently and it sounds as if you have overdone it a little.  I'm not a medic but maybe someone will be able to help you here.  :)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 21:39:35 »
I have developed pins and needles and pain in my  hands and fingers and one hand seems very slightly swollen. it is worse on the days that I garden. I also get pins and needles and numbness when I drive for more than about 10 minutes.

I have looked around on the web, and think it may be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Dont know if this is the same as you. I suppose the advice should be to go to see your GP, but I hate going to the doctors, so will  just suffer in silence till it gets too bad.

cj :)

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 21:42:32 »
I also have slight tingling in the middle two fingers of my right hand, and frequent (slightly painful) clicking of the elbow.
I presumed that it was some form of RSI (repetetive strain injury) due to too much digging. I don't/can't wear gloves when I'm working, couldn't even do it at work when handling chemicals, but am very careful.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 21:52:07 »
I regularly have pins and needles following use of rotivator and digging.It is probably due to both RSI and some nerve compression - carpel tunnel. It is very bad at night with both hands being completely numb and painful tingling feeling. I have wrist supports which I wear when this occurs.
You may find it is the begining of carpel tunnel, with some RSI thrown in if you have been digging regularly over a period of time. I believe CT occurs more in  females.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 21:54:39 »
Caroline I was wondering the same as you. I sufferred with CPS quite badly when I worked in an office (all ledgers were hand written) I did have a couple of injections which improved things. I then had trouble with "aching" legs. The Doctor prescribed Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, he said the tablets would probably help my hands as well. He was right!! Worth a visit to the Doctor as it can get very uncomfortable.

Superstar

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 22:11:45 »
Some interesting comments there.  Thank you.

This evening my hands have reduced swelling but finger tips are still slightly numb.  I garden in leather gloves as I have tried several types but find these best.  By deduction I am beginning to think it is not the actual digging but breaking the solid lumps of soil by forcing fork tines through them to break them up and then bashing them with back of the fork to break them down further.  This must set up vibration in the steel tines which ends up travelling into the hands.

I wonder if there is a way to stop the vibration between fork and hand.  If anyone has possible solutions I would be happy to try them out.
Give me strength - please!

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 22:15:06 »
There is a fork on the market that has a spring tolerance in the shaft - might be worth trying to find. I had one some years ago but broke the shaft digging my wonderful clay soil!  :)
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 22:37:40 »
Thanks for the advice Lorna. I will try to get to the GP, as it would be nice to sleep through the night without my hands waking me up. But I hate going, so it will probably take me a while to get round to it. I dont know why I hate going there, funny , isnt it?

Lady of the Land...do the wrist supports give instant relief, or is it a gradual thing. Also, do you mind if I ask where you got them from?

Superstar.....looks like you are not alone with your symptoms. These bodies are sooo unreliable! I think I'll put in for a transplant. Mmm, 18 year old, size 10 with a beautiful face and very athletic would suit me, I think ;D ;D ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 22:41:04 »
Caroline... Not worried about the face (I can always put a bag over that ;D) but wouldn't mind the athletic bit

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 22:49:33 »
Not worried about the face (I can always put a bag over that )

Yes, but have you ever tried picking blackcurrants like that?!? It will take you hours.....not  that I have tried, of course ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 22:51:59 »
 ;D ;D

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 23:05:16 »
Aw - not nice. Nice warm handsoak. Warm water or green tea with one or all of the following essential oils : geranium, rosemary, peppermint. Soak for about 10 mins and pat dry. Keep them moving, close fingers and open. Feel better.  :)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 08:36:07 »
yes I would agree that it sounds a bit like carpal tunnel syndrome (which I suffer from too). Except for the swelling? But that might be from the vigorous digging, sometimes my hands actually feel bruised from that.
Do not take carpal tunnel syndrome too lightly, if the episode occurs again, please go and see about it. DO not leave it until it gets worse, the worse it is, the heavier the treatment. You must rest the hand when an episode occurs, no lifting or intensive use of the hand. Typically you get pain, especially near the thumb and index finger, weakness of grasp, numbness or tingling in the fingers and thumb. It is worse at night when the hands are at rest. You can take anti inflammatories for it, as it is caused by swelling of the wrist cartilege which compresses the nerves going to your hand.
I admit that when I garden I don't always wear gloves, well, for weeding but not when I am planting - I like to feel my fingers in the dirt  :D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 18:26:57 »
Interesting thread. I am typing with a very swollen reddish purpleish index finger after a heavy day on the allotment yesterday. I find that any of my fingers can swell up like this if I am clumsy with something hard, like the handle of a hod of coke or pulling up stubborn bamboo sticks (as yesterday, clearing the psb and their netting).  Or using an iron post hole maker

I have always assumed that I have broken a small blood vessel and I can see a small bruise spreading to cover the whole of the affected finger. It takes a day or two to disappear. Do others get this?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 22:21:26 »
hello Artichoke

I get that , but only on either my one finger, or the palm of my hand. It really hurts when it happens, and is sore for a while too. I agree that it is probably a blood vessel bursting. The first time it happened I was quite worried, but I am used to it now.

cj

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 23:22:42 »
Wrist supports came from physio at local hospital. I try to put these on at night when I think its more likely to be a problem IE after spending a fair period of time digging or using rotivator. However have also woken in the night with both hands completely numb, but always try and get some feeling back before putting splint on as would be a struggle to get them on. I do this by trying to wriggle the fingers, hanging hand over edge of bed and then trying to hold hand straight.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 16:36:42 »
I wear wrist supports most of the time when I'm digging because i keep spraining my wrists. I have had swollen hands and fingers but i have rheumatiod arthritis so I'm pretty sure it's that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal