Author Topic: Greenhouse shading  (Read 13865 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Greenhouse shading
« on: April 25, 2007, 20:16:32 »
I am planning to use Coolglass white shading paint on my greenhouse - now for the daft question. I know it should go on the outside, but does it still work if put on the inside?
 The reason I am asking is that there is no way that I am going to reach the top glass on the roof, either to put it on and definitely will not be able to wipe it off at the end of the year without probably falling through! How ever I can easily reach all the  glass form the inside.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
Re: Greenhouse shading
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 21:31:24 »
Can't you use a roller on a pole to apply it to the outside?
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 22:13:18 »
The problem is getting right up there and leaning over enough to get all the shading off.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 22:15:40 »
Can I hijack this please & ask how easy it is to get off at the end of the season? Is it the best way of shading or is there another cheap, effective way of doing it?

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 22:25:02 »
Aside from the fact that coolglass makes the glass have  a sort of matt finish, which wouldn't be the case if it was on the inside, (with regards to the suns rays) I would think it would still do the same job inside or out.

Just a thought, when you apply it, do you do the whole roof or just the side that faces the sun? My GH runs east to west, and only catches the sun on the one side, because by the time the sun gets round the other side, it's in the shadow of the house.

To answer Marymary, I believe it wipes of with a dry cloth at the end of the season.
Regards Alan.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 22:35:54 »
I have found the answer to my question on the bayer website

You can apply Coolglass to the inner surface. The only disadvantage is that the product could be slightly messy to apply and remove. Another advantage to Coolglass over other shading materials is that when it rains the Coolglass becomes clear letting more light through which is then beneficial to plants. If it is applied to the inside then this advantage would be lost. Ensure that you cover absorbent surfaces if using Coolglass indoors, just as you would do if painting a room in your home.

Although I will lose the advantage of thereaction of coolglass in the rain , it is preferable to having a nasty accident in the autumn. Will try it on the inside this year and see what happens to the crops - will report back.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 23:03:52 »
Solved my dilema -its wonderful how having a bath clears your mind - paint it all on the outside except for the panes I can reach, and then paint the very high roof ones on the inside. Light will come through when it rains and I won't worry about falling through the roof in the autumn!

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 23:08:22 »
As Pythagoras said........Eureka!!! (or was that some other Greek old fella?)
Well done TS

OOps, On reflection, it was Archimedes wasn't it?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 23:10:57 by quizzical1 »
Regards Alan.

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 12:06:27 »
I used coolglass the other week and it seems great.

Very easy to wipe off with a dry towel.  Had to as it dulled down.

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 15:11:34 »
I wonder, would Windolene do the same job?
Regards Alan.

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 07:24:30 »
I suspect thet windowlene would disolve in the rain. Round at our allotments folks have been putting net curtains over thier greenhouses
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 12:28:29 »
Hi
I bought a net curtain which i put up on the inside of the greenhouse with those funny clippy things.  Works well except bees sometimes get between the netting and glass and buzz a lot!  But as you have the coolglass I would do as you are planning to and put some on the inside and some on the outside.

i wouldn't fancy taking off the stuff on the inside though (drips down the neck, arms etc).  What about a soft broom for taking it off in the autumn and spray it on in the spring?

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 13:13:18 »
I have green builders debris netting thrown over mine, my seedlings are surviving so far.
The previous owner used fleece pegged on the inside and grew excellent cucumbers and toms.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 16:51:53 »
Remember that, although we get a few hot days each year which we need to shade against, mostly it's LIGHT that we need?

A repeat, below - roll on or off in 30 secs.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 16:55:39 by tim »

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 17:34:58 »
Have put the coolglass on, on the inside on the high panes and on the outside on the low panes - it was needed as the temp reached the top of the thermometer- and that was just in April!

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 17:51:53 »
I'm currently using fleece clipped in place with clothes pegs. Easy to put on and remove, cheap and works a treat ;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 07:20:23 »
I bought one of those plastic marquee things when we first moved to this house, basically to use it as the smoking room.

It lasted one good wind, and no-one used it anyway, so I've cut out the mosquito netting panels and one is now clipped to the top ridge of the g/h with those mini clips thingies.  I think it's letting enough light in but tbh the internal temps are still soaring this week so not sure how useful it is as actual shading !
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Chris Graham

• Hectare
  • Stirling, Scotland
    • Backyard
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 08:30:49 »
yeh even with CoolGlass and the roof vent and door open it can still be too hot.  :o

Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal