Author Topic: Blair's Bloody Blurb?  (Read 4322 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Blair's Bloody Blurb?
« on: April 25, 2007, 19:04:04 »
So you all voted for The Olympics??

( His reply to the Manor Garden petition)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Blair's Bloody Blurb?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 19:08:58 »
We know he never listens but just goes his own sweet way. Democracy? What democracy! It's getting so bad that I'm beginning to think we should take a leaf out of the Swiss book and hold a referendum on all major issues. At least that way we'dget what we chose as a nation rather than the random speculations of the overly ambitious and power crazy.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 19:41:52 »
As I said on the other one, it is wrong to force someone to give something up against their will, these are food products, not footballs, it is survival not sport. Some folks grow their own because they have to financially,and they have been told they will get new ones AFTER the Olympics, now that is insulting.What do they do until then. Mr Blair, you need to get a new letter writer , if that is the most  tactfull way you could have it phrased  it.Shame on you .!! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 22:26:00 »
Unfortunately Blair is only concerned about his own legacy - he is only concerned with those who do whatever he wants and hang to his every word -  the rest of us are of no value to him.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 22:48:11 »
Hang on a mo, I voted to keep the allotments, and have received an email from No 10 today, updating the situation via a link.

My understanding is that they are going to be given a new site approximately a mile from the existing site, and after the Olympics, the site will be reinstated. So eventually, there will be even more allotments available in the area.

Also, it's NOT Mr Bliar, but the whole government which made the decision.

There were only 7,485 signatories!!!!
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 22:53:24 »
New allotments mean that the old site and the old community get destroyed for a few weeks' jamboree.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 23:05:35 »
Some folks grow their own because they have to financially,and they have been told they will get new ones AFTER the Olympics, now that is insulting.What do they do until then. Mr Blair? Jeannine

Read it again. Quote from Government's response:-

Following the 2012 Games there is a commitment to reinstate at least the same number of allotments  within the Legacy Park and all current Manor Garden allotment holders will be offered one of these new allotments. In the meantime the London Development Agency (LDA), which is responsible for assembling the land for the Olympic Park, is working with the allotment holders to try to relocate the Manor Garden society for the period running up to the Games. To achieve this, the LDA has submitted a planning application that, if approved, will allow the creation of new allotments within 1 mile of the existing site.

Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 23:11:35 »
Obviously no gardeners involved in that decision - allotments can't be moved around willy nilly, cultivation is  long term. Mind you why am I surprised -this government doesn't do long term, or even short term- it does knee jerk politics.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 23:21:06 »
I am so sorry I voted for the Olympics. I thought it would bring something to Britain to be proud of. I now know I made possibly the biggest voting mistake of my life.  Not only with this allotment issue (which should be incorporated as part of the "village") but for the serious error of judgement that costs would stay as predicted............ oh why oh why are we so gullible! It's time we asked how they can justify all these extra millions, especially on consultants! It's the European Gravy Train come home to roost!
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 00:11:37 »
Quizzi, I read it as you did.  If (tho' I realise at this stage it isn't a definite) they can relocate all current allotment holders to a plot within a reasonable distance from the original and not on a flood plain, not knackered from years and years of growing veggies and very fertile 'cos it is after all London clay, grudgingly I'd admit it could actually be an acceptable compromise now that we are committed to holding the Olympics.  The building and security issues that would necessarily arise if the allotments remained on their current site are potentially significant and could be resolved by relocating the allotments, provided that this is actually done.  Without the petition, would a relocation of the allotment sites have been considered at all?  Well done to all who signed - keep up the pressure, I say.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 07:44:15 »
Why would the soil be knackered? my site's been in continuous use for 167 years, and the soil's very far from knackered.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 11:35:43 »
May I point out that they are promising the same number of allotments - will they be the same size?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 11:45:39 »
Did someone say we had a vote on the Games? I missed something?

And Robert - you're never 'ignored' - as my screen shows.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 13:24:57 »
Come to think of it, it's usually more effective to contact local MP's, who want your vote and those of the people close to you, rather than ministers, who just give you appallingly arrogant replies repeating the government line. Maybe the petition site is a distraction from the best approach?

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 16:37:05 »
Sorry Tim - meant "supported" with sticker in car......

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 18:50:35 »
I signed the petition and have received the "official decision".

Eg: "The current site of the Manor Garden allotments is in the heart of the Olympic Park and ground levels at the allotment site will need to change by up to 6 metres. These level changes will form part of the flood risk management of the Lower Lea Valley and create a natural area of reed beds and wildlife habitat."

Six METRES ????!?  Are they going to dump a mountain on it, or dig down to the antipodes?

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page11532.asp   if you haven't got it already.

I feel very upset that all those hard working local people are being turned off their plots. Apparently the new place has NOT got the same number of plots, and the local people there are very protective of this site and do not want allotments there.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 19:37:46 »
I think the important word in Mr Blairs statement is TRY,to relocate, and if his try fails???? I am sorry but this is might over right as far as I am concerned. You don't kick someone out UNTIL you have found them a new acceptable home,XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 21:32:46 »
Get the media involved start locally then national. TV and press, they'd love this I know you probably don't all read it but the Daily Express champions this kind of downtrodden public item. If all else fails - you want like for like on the temporary plots, topsoil, manure all dug in and ready to go, top plants that you have lost, plus a guarantee of when you get your plots back on the Olympic site same again, in writing with legal bods.  The legal aid system is there so use itif you need to.  Go for broke.  Petitions, to the current government, seem to be like water off the preverbial duck's back. The peasants are revolting - don't let them ride roughshod over you.

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 23:41:21 »
The site they have been offerred to relocate to has been turned down because the local residents objected to their park being dug up - rightly so - as it too was given to them "in perpetuity".  The alternative was a bomb site dumping ground from the war - complete with glass, rubble asbestos etc........

My thinking is that "they" will probably find a space for future allotments - eventually - but my money is that they will encourage all the yuppies from the overpriced new flats/houses they are building to lease the plots!!!!!!!  After all -  now that allotments are trendy and "sexy" (thanks Simon MAyo!!!!!) - they won't want all the grubby little locals to rent them will they!

Bloody progess.....mutter mutter mutter...........

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 07:36:34 »
I despise Bliar and everything him and his nasty wife and government stand for.

My worst ever voting decision was to vote Livingston in as mayor, and that was just to pish Bliar off and then to compound my ghastly error I ran 400 miles north to get away from the place.  So Lunduners, my heartfelt apologies !

As for the Olympics, don't get me started.

I genuinely feel for the lottie holders and wish them every support.

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal