Author Topic: Growing through weed suppressant?  (Read 1131 times)

frankiebaby

• Something's Sprouting...
Growing through weed suppressant?
« on: April 23, 2007, 07:47:42 »
We've finally admitted that we are unlikely to clear our entire plot this year.

We've just bought some black weed suppressing fabric from our allotment shop to cover up one section and hopefully make things easier when we do clear the soil later.

I've read somewhere about planting through the fabric. It would be great if we could still get some use out of the soil, even this year. My potatoes have already gone in elsewhere so what I wanted to ask you guys is what else would be suitable?

How about sweetcorn, broccoli, squash, turnips and cabbage?

Anyone else tried this plating through the fabric thing? Do I need to cut it all back before laying down the fabric?

Thanks, Frankie

woppa30

• Half Acre
Re: Growing through weed suppressant?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 08:59:00 »
You should be able to grow sturdy plants liek cabbages and brussels etc since you can cust cut a slit in the fabric and use a dibber and get the plants in the ground.
I would cut weeds down as far a possible, possibly even mowing them or use a strimmer.
Remember that weed supressing membrane will act as a safe harbour for slugs so be prepared for acts of war.
If you decide not to grow through the membrane I would use something different, thick black sheeting. Its available from garden centersbut more cheaply (half the price normally) from builders merchants. Its called DPM as its used as a Damp Proof Membrane in teh damp course. Stong as an ox and if you weight it down its going nowhere. Resistant to frost damage as well. Twelve months under that and most stuff will either be very dead or very weak and easy to pull out.
Best wishes,
Woppa

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:14:42 »
AFAIK you can grow squash through the membrane, just cut a cross where you want the plant to grow and fold the membrane back.

hth
Esre

Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

frankiebaby

• Something's Sprouting...
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 18:40:44 »
Thank you both.  Actually, I hadn’t thought about the membrane acting as a slug harbor!  Ahh, well, I've bought it now so that's one decision out of my hands.

Right then.  Sprouts, cabbages and squash it is.  And slugs.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 18:49:23 »
Hi

I made the same decision last year.

Unfortunatly 2 things happened, the weeds grew on top and some through the membrane.

I would suggest you put a layer of cardboard down first or you sow green manure on the area and rotiate it in when your ready to use the area.

I would also but some though into what you cover the membrane with as just pegging it into the ground i found is not enough. Try a local tree surgon and see if you can get some wood chips to cover it with.

Cambourne7

Carls3168

• Half Acre
    • The Pellon Allotment
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 15:41:32 »
I grew tomato's and sweetcorn through plastic last year on my `weedy bed`. Roughly dug the area over, covered it with plastic and just plonked them in... didnt have too high hopes but everything did really well!!
Then just removed the plastic in Autumn, threw a load of manure over the soil, and now I have a lovely friable loam with (touch wood) hardly a weed in sight so far!!!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal