Author Topic: Earting up potatoes.  (Read 9134 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Earting up potatoes.
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2007, 20:54:57 »
I first watched other lotties planting spuds and thought they all seem to be doing it different, so being an awkward sod I thought I would be even differenter,if there's such a word, I dug a spade deep trench and then roughed the bottom and stuck the spud a few inches down in the trench then covered in rotted manure, the earth that came out of the trench was banked up beside it, and so on. When the the tops came through in the trench I just shovelled some manure on the tops, one of the fellows on the lottie asked why I had done it this way I mumbled something and he said well at least down in the trench they are safe from the frost I mumbled thats one of the reasons I done it (did I eck), and as they grow I drew the earth from the bank into the trench well that's my complicated way, I suppose we will all get the same sort of yield whatever way we do it.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
Re: Earting up potatoes.
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2007, 21:17:01 »
KEV, What you have described is how i put my spuds in. Only i barrow the soil from the first  trench to back of where my last row is going in then just back fill from each row i dig out, then the barrowed soil for the last trench. The spuds i put in in Jan are well advanced. I also give them a top dressing of grow more
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal