Author Topic: Earting up potatoes.  (Read 9145 times)

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
Earting up potatoes.
« on: April 23, 2007, 13:04:59 »
I have quite a specific question. When earthing up do you cover the green growth or keep the green growth visible above ground? Last year I just left them to grow which didn't harm them but want to see what the crop is like this year by earthing up.

thanks

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Earting up potatoes.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 13:08:26 »
Cover the green growth, this will protect from frost at this time of year, and later will prevent the tubers from going green by being exposed to light.

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 13:13:08 »
I thought you had to leave 2 inches of shoots showing when you earth them up.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 13:25:16 »
I gradually earth mine up not long after they appear, then keep earthing them up till the mound is about 1" high.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 16:27:28 »
I earth my spuds up when I plant them gives me 4/5 weeks safe from the frost before they appear, and then I am free to get on with the rest of the work on the lottie. what a nightmare not to be able to get to your lottie to earth up and find you have had a frost during the night.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 16:54:08 »
I've earthed up all mine today. Apparently it's going to be minus 1 tomorrow morning in Nottingham  ::)

I've also earthed up things that probably don't NEED earthing up (Jerusalem artichokes?)

All my seedlings are tucked up in fleece as well. Taking no chances!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 16:57:34 »
I plant them gives me 4/5 weeks safe from the frost before they appear,

I agree Paul providing they come out of the top of the ridge ...........mine never do :'(

So now I wait till the row has fully emerged!

lilybetbee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 19:37:29 »
I gradually earth mine up not long after they appear, then keep earthing them up till the mound is about 1" high.
Did you mean 1" or 1' ?

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 19:44:25 »
1'

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 20:17:02 »
My first earlies are going like mad - I've run out of soil as I've earthed them up at least 8 times since they first emerged.  They are currently 8" above the mound so fingers crossed for tonight... I will have to get soil from another plot i think to get them covered.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 20:20:35 »
bob flowerdew reckons put a newspaper 'collar' round them with some grass clippings on to hold it down, it helps stop the tubers going green  :)

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 20:42:23 »
No sign of mine yet, so I havent got to worry :-\

cj :)

milkybardave

• Not So New ...
  • Confused of Southampton
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 20:58:53 »
I have shoots & leaves approx 2-3" above the soil, when "earthing up" do I cover the whole growth or leave some of the top leaves showing??
per meus pala EGO vadum cavo  With my spade I will dig

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2007, 21:32:01 »
I have shoots & leaves approx 2-3" above the soil, when "earthing up" do I cover the whole growth or leave some of the top leaves showing??

Does'nt really matter too much, just cover as much as i can to begin with as this helps protect against sudden frosts. It does'nt harm them at all.

Rohaise

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 22:25:48 »
Hallo Milkybardave (love that name !)  I will leave the very top two leaves and the new shoots  showing on my early pots ,and be ready to cover with fleece if it should turn bad . Rohaise   ;)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 23:09:01 »
Half my first earlies are 6-7 inches high. Others are poking through. I earth the ground 8 inches or so when I planted them 6 weeks ago and ain't earthed up since. Though they will get done this weekend as some has crumpled down a little. Kestrel are just beginning to show but nothing from maincrop yet but it is a little early so I ain't worried. Hopefully I will get to cut the grass to mulch - to save me weeding in the near future.........
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 20:41:42 »

Does'nt really matter too much, just cover as much as i can to begin with as this helps protect against sudden frosts. It does'nt harm them at all.

Keef,

They are plants, they need sunlight on their leaves to create the enrgy to grow. Without this they draw on the reserves in the tuber, which does harm them.

Unfortunately, frost harms them even more, so the compromise is to let up to 4" of leaf show before earthing up such that the top of the leaves is just showing and use fleece if there is a threat of frost - fleece will give protection against ~ 4 degrees of frost.

If the forecast is for a harder frost or you don't have any fleece then JUST cover with soil.

Phil

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 20:50:50 »
Being a recent convert to the big straw mulch (as practised by Supersprout) I'm hoping that mulching with straw will have the same effect as earthing up. How I wish she was here to ask :(
Smile, it confuses people.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 20:56:46 »
watch out for the straw sprouting green shoots, maggie, I asked ss about it, she said, just put more mulch on..I've used it around the new fruit trees and it's been ok so far  :)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 21:25:26 »
I went down Sunday after work - and there was no sign of them.......

Checked today and.....

Yippee - they're alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I love this gardening lark!

Louise

PS: covered them a bit and will earth up properly fri/sat.
Grow yer bugger grow!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal