Author Topic: Is my compost ready?  (Read 1011 times)

chappy

• Half Acre
Is my compost ready?
« on: April 22, 2007, 16:35:15 »
Hi all,

Now my beds are finished I'm enriching the soil by adding organic matter, and have added couple of bags of bought compost and manure.

I've just emptied my compost bin and wondered if it was redy ti dig into my soil.

It is rather wet and sweet smelling, so I will need to add more dry stuff to the next batch I make.

Does this look OK to use?

Also I found a heck of lot of slugs in amongst it all.  I guess this means it's full of slug egss and I'll have big problems when they hatch?

Regards,

Chappy.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Re: Is my compost ready?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 17:40:25 »
Looks a bit wet and could possibly do with a bit longer to decompose, try adding shredded paper every now and again which soaks up the moisture
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 17:48:13 »
It is rather wet and sweet smelling,

It looks too wet to me try putting some open textured stuff in the bottom to form a drainage layer (mines is on soil) so the liquid does not build up/

I will need to add more dry stuff to the next batch I make.

Mixed layers is best if you can, and has been mentioned shredded paper would help.

I shred all my private mail and put that in!

Does this look OK to use?

I wouldn't I would use it as a basis for the next batch.

Question; was there a lid on your bin?

chappy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 18:51:19 »
OK thanks guys.

I will use it to start a new batch.  The manure I've added to the soil should do for this year.

I did originally use straw at the bottom but that has all been mixed in now.  I don't really have room on my soiled area to sit the bin.

I do have a load of mail due for shredding, so will use that to build some dry layers in.

Tee Gee, Yes there was a lid on the bin.  It's the big green dalek you can see in the background, I had just put it in my recycle bin to carry to my planting area.  But looks like it's going back in teh bin now. :)

Thanks again.

Chappy.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal