Author Topic: Instant death  (Read 1016 times)

milkybardave

• Not So New ...
  • Confused of Southampton
Instant death
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:00:58 »
So what am I doing wrong?

I have a pot full of very healthy Lollo Rosso lettuce 3-4' high, looking a bit overcrowded, I thought I would transplant a couple of them into my prepared bed.

Have been out this morning & they look like they have disintegrated (they actually look like they've melted) overnight (not due to any slugs, snails etc).

What is going on? Do I just leave them in the pot (as they seem to be doing fine in there)??

Help....

Dave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 08:30:13 by milkybardave »
per meus pala EGO vadum cavo  With my spade I will dig

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
Re: Instant death
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 08:11:22 »
If you had them inside and took them straight out as it was cold last night them have gone into shock. They may come back to life again.

milkybardave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:20:52 »
The whole pot has been outside for two weeks??

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:46:05 »
At '3-4" & overcrowded' they sound a bit frail to me. How much root was there? Did you damage the roots inseparating them? Did they go into fine, moist soil? Did you 'puddle them in'? Did you handle them by a leaf only?

How 'crowded 'in what sized pot?

etc!!

natasha

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 09:07:39 »
I would rather split the bunch into clumps and transplant them, instead of separating individual ones. Now if they are not completly dead water them well, they will recover (hopefully).
Good luck!

milkybardave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:39:59 »
How much root was there? Did you damage the roots inseparating them? Did they go into fine, moist soil? Did you 'puddle them in'? Did you handle them by a leaf only?

How 'crowded 'in what sized pot?

etc!!

Hi Tim

In answer to your questions, the roots were 2 /12 - 3 ', was VERY careful when seperating them. The soil was fine as I spent half an hour sieving the soil before hand. Only handled the leaves.

And by 'puddle them in', do you mean, fill the holes I hade made, with water, then yes I did that also.

The pot is 9' and there are 10 plants in there.

Any advice is most welcome.....

Dave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 11:45:46 by milkybardave »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 15:16:31 »
we put 4 little gem seeds per cell, 1 in each corner ..let them grow to a manageable size, then trasplant 3 into other cells..they seem to be o.k..I like to give them a bit of room unless they are for salad leaves then I plant them all together in the border or pot  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal