Author Topic: pruning a fig tree advice sought  (Read 743 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
pruning a fig tree advice sought
« on: April 21, 2007, 19:42:08 »
Hi all
I've noticed that our fig tree has three short shoots sprouting out from below ground around the base, all of them have leaf buds and tiny little fruits on them.  The tree was only planted out a year ago, so this it's first real summer after establishing (boxed in with paving slabs) roots.

Should I get rid of the shoots, or are they OK to allow to grow on?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: pruning a fig tree advice sought
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 20:22:01 »
If you can see a space for them to grow into leave them... if not cut them out or it will get congested. I have had mine in the ground a couple of years and some of the new growths last year are stronger than the old ones from when it was in a pot so I let them grow and have cut out some of the old wood... needs reassessing at the end of the season.
 ;D

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 23:48:07 »
Thanks Saddad, I'll let it go for this year then and see what it looks like come November.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 10:08:24 »
Try - http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/perennials/14339/3 -http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/perennials/80878

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal