Author Topic: Viola's  (Read 2161 times)

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
Viola's
« on: May 23, 2004, 18:49:16 »
Does anyone know anything about Viola's?  

Is it alright to take a cutting now?  If yes do I pot it now or put it in water until it gets some roots.  A neighbour has them in a window box and said I could have a cutting.
Chloe:)

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Viola's
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 19:55:00 »
Don't know if it's the right way or not Chloe but all I do is put the cuttings in a glass of water until they root then either put them directly into the garden or into pots with multipurpose compost. They seem to thrive here which probably has nothing whatsoever to do with my gardening skills.

Eileen.

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 20:04:18 »
Method is not as important as when. Early Spring the new growth is easy to root either in water or potting compost. Or again in Autumn from the new shoots which grow after the top has been sheered back after flowering. Stems taken when the plant is in flower tend to be hollow and are very difficult to root.   You may be lucky and there might be new growth from the base which is already rooted.
 Another method is to mound up gritty compost round the plant which encourages it to root and then you may remove the rooted pieces.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Chloe

• Half Acre
  • I am very proud of that
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 20:18:56 »
Thank you both for your replies.  I did put it in a glass of water, Eileen, but if it fails will try again in the autumn.

Thanks again, Chloe
Chloe:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal