Author Topic: Woodlice!  (Read 3247 times)

grape_expectations

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Woodlice!
« on: May 22, 2004, 23:21:01 »
I'd always thought woodlice were completely harmless and even rather useful.   Until I noticed that something had been eating the flowers of my violas...... thinking it was the usual suspects, I did a slug 'n snail search but found the woodlice all scampering guiltily out of the flowers.  I had the same thing last summer with my pansies - completely ruined.  They seem to prefer the darker flowers.     I have a huge population in my garden - it has to be said they've increased since I took to making my own compost.    We're always being told not to clear up too much in the autumn, leaving leaf litter etc so friendly insects can keep cosy but this must be helping the woodlice flourish.   Is there any reasonably safe, preferably organic, substance I can use to reduce their numbers?

Christina

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:Woodlice!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 12:46:23 »
Well, Christina, RHS say keep tidy and clear up debris to prevent shelter!  Protect seedlings with bendiocarb dust.  Doesn't sound particularly organic but hopefully organic gardeners here will be able to advise.  Little naughties, they look so harmless, don't they?  :D
Muddy Boots

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal