Author Topic: White maggots in my daikon minowase  (Read 1527 times)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
White maggots in my daikon minowase
« on: May 22, 2004, 21:52:51 »
Just find out that all my daikon got white maggots,so i pulled out all my bed with daikon and destroyed them bl........dy b........ds.What are they ? never heard of daikon fly,or are they carrot flies.How get i rid of it?

Muddy_Boots

• Hectare
Re:White maggots in my daikon minowase
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 22:16:33 »
Ruud,

As Daikon are part of Mooli/Radish family, sounds from the description as if they have been attacked by Cabbage Root Fly.  White maggots!  Unless anyone knows different, no permitted chemical treatment.  All that's recommended by RHS is collars of carpet, fleece, whatever to prevent females from laying eggs.

Sorry, not a great gardener with veggies, hope someone else can suggest something more encouraging.
Muddy Boots

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 22:17:11 »
I plead ignorance Rudd, but what on earth is daikon???? Never heard of it before.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 22:34:41 »
The popular commercial varieties look like a very large white radish. There are also black and red ones available for home gardeners and speciality growers.
Does indeed sound like cabbage root fly, ruud.
In a discussion long ago with ina I think she said they are called mooli in continental Europe.
Picture at: http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergreenseeds/orientalradish.html although the size is not apparent. I've seen them well over 30cm long and 10 cm in diameter.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 21:25:24 »
The picture you shown john are the one i had sowed,untill those little b......rd came along but cabbage rootfly?? I have a lot of different cabbages on my allotment and they arent infected how come just lucky i ashumed or the maggots like oriental food more than commen dutch cabbage.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal