Author Topic: HELP - Pears from a Newbie  (Read 2684 times)

JBerry

HELP - Pears from a Newbie
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:46:40 »
Hi Folks
I am new to the site so sorry if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have some lovely pears that need picking.
Or at least they usually are.
This year they appear hard on the outside and soft in the middle.  Well the ones I have tried. Could this be due to the constant rain we have had?

Other years they have been just perfect and I have tried picking when still hard wrapping in newspaper and keeping in a dark frost free place but they have always turned to mush.  The compost bin sure gets fed well.
Any suggestions on how to store them or is my only reasonable action is to peal cook in a syrup and freeze.
If the freezing method is the most feasable any idea of the mix to make the syrup.  Other problem with this method is space in the freezer....
Thanks

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: HELP - Pears from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:52:11 »
Hiya, Jberry, welcome to a4a  ;D
sorry, can't help with the problems with your pears , what sort are they?
we peel our conference pears and cook in syrup with cinnamon, red wine or cider..can't help with amounts, I just chuck stuff together, we use those containers, like you get from the chippy, you can stack them 3 or 4 high in the freezer :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: HELP - Pears from a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 10:02:16 »
Hi Jberry! Welcome to the forum.

In general pears don't store that well - up to about a month depending on variety. I think the idea is to pick them before they ripen and let them ripen off the tree. Other than I would follow Manics' advice : make them part of a recipe and freeze. Alternatively you could bottle them and I'm sure there must be "wine" recipes involving pears. They could also be used in chutney in much the same way as apples.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal