Author Topic: Has anyone planted their courgettes outside?  (Read 7560 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Has anyone planted their courgettes outside?
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 20:41:51 »
You are doing just fine, some folks can't germinate them, keep them moist but not wet, get them into 3 inch pots as soon as you can. Keep posting , XX Well done Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 20:46:48 »
You know I am really confused. I looked at your site re courgettes and some of the pictures look more like water melon plants.( the more oak leaf ones) I have never seen a variety of courgette with the same foliage as a water melon? XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 22:55:51 »
I have an array of courgettes, squashes and melons all growing away.  Some have only just broken the compost, some are monsters in huge pots.  I will still sow some more in May.  I will plant out some at the start of May when I do my runners. 

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 00:19:55 »
I grew some in my garden last year, but the ends of all the courgettes rotted.
I thought it was because I wasn't removing the dead flowers, I did that, but they still rotted.  :(

How do I prevent this from happening?

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 08:44:07 »

The courgettes with round leaves are the French 'Patisson Orange'.

Rotting ends seem to be caused by excess damp or irregular watering.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_courgettes.html

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007, 13:29:31 »
I have gone for it!

Like many others I hve plants in reserve, this is the stage I was at last year on 27th May.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_courgettes.html

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 17:26:08 »
No the other pictures, on you link, the ones that look like oak leaves, they look like watermelons, These ones are clearly squash

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 19:37:48 »
Jeannine,

I have only planted the following:-

Courgette Black something - Last years packet
Courgette Longue de Nice - New
Courgette Patisson Orange - New
Pumpkin Atlantic Giant - Last years packet
Butternut squash - Last years packet

If you would like some of the new ones, let me know.

I have found a picture of Longue de Nice, they are the cougettes visible which are slightly misshapen with a knobbly end. They always sell at a premium in the markets - 50% more than standard courgettes. This was taken in the Cours Saleya in Nice.

My wife has a Nice site about our studio and life there

http://www.allaboutnice.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 19:47:22 »
Hi no, it is none of those ones, I know them. Go to your link on your site about growing courgettes, shown on you first comment here.

Scroll down till you get to the picture which has BIG PLANTS written underneath it,then again a close up just below and to the right of this picture you have put PESTS AND DISEASES. This is the plant I am asking about. Either it a watermelon or something I don't know and I am interested to find out what it is. The foliage is completely different to any of the four squash families.

XX Jeannine

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 19:48:51 »
This one?
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2007, 20:33:28 »
It is definitely Unwins Black Beauty, Organic courgette.

It came out of the same packet as the three in the raised bed. The difference was that the raised bed had manure and the other was grown on a spare strip at the side. The courgettes were exactly the same.

I have found a photo of the very same plant when younger which shows the later leaves adopting the oak-leaf look.

Rohaise

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2007, 22:49:49 »
mine just germinated this week.

Growing tri-colour balls (pale green, dark green & yellow), but the seeds were all in the same packet and I don't know how to tell which is which - any ideas ?  I sowed all the seeds (x 8) and so far they look identical.

Me too !   I hadn,t thought that this would matter really ..until I came to offer a couple to a friend and would like to be sure she gets a yellow and a green one ,and not both yellow !    ::) Rohaise

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 22:51:15 »
The leaves seem so very long and narrow,maybe I need new glasses, I thought you  had found  a new species there.argh!! I was getting all excited,Thank you XX Jeannine

Rohaise

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 23:17:19 »
Gosh 802 people have come on to this one so far and I am unable to get page three now..the page is unavailable...it says.    So i,m off to bed now and will come back to this tomorrow .   God Bless All ! Rohaise x
                          P.S.   I.ll be dreaming about courgettes    ::)

Raisedbed

• Not So New ...
  • Hampshire
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2007, 00:17:22 »
I must be extremely reckless 'cos my 2 Orelia courgettes are giant sized in large tubs in a cold greenhouse.  I've got embryo fruit showing.  If we get a spot of cold weather I shall heave them into the garage overnight.  I'm even prepared to bring them indoors. Not sure what my better half will think about that.   

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2007, 21:47:25 »
I have risked planting one Goldrush in a large tub outdoors - covered in a double layer of fleece. It's ok so far, but then, with night temperatures not going below 10C at the moment, at least the fleece is keeping the slugs off  ;).

Tricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2007, 09:14:10 »
Oh mine were not doing so well on the balcony so I stuck them on the plot. I just have two ordinary green courgette types.
I have always found that the problem with courgettes here is stopping them, not getting them going!!! maybe the soil in this area is well suited to them?
Speaking of the weather today it has cooled off and we have some rain which the garden will appreciate no end!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2007, 12:10:57 »
I have 30 plants sat in pots off the ground on a wooden table, against the house facing south, they have been outside for 2 weeks now. I do cover them with fleece at night. Best I could do as no more room indoors! They seem to be fine, one has a funny yellow rust like stain on a single laf, is this a problem?
Sue

30 plants ! Your going to have a barrow load of gourgettes every day for a few weeks ! I normally plant 4 or 5 plants - and still end up will too many in the end.

I hav'nt started mine yet, normally wait till early / mid may, they really really dont like frost...
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2007, 12:16:18 »
Sowed all of my squash and courgettes on Sunday, first to show this morning is...the tricolour courgettes...who knows which colour! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2007, 13:47:16 »
Put mine out yesterday. Got fed up with mollycoddling them  ::) Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal