Author Topic: tomato plants  (Read 2513 times)

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
    • 21st Century Good Life?
tomato plants
« on: November 16, 2005, 17:37:49 »
earlier this year i overheard people in my office talking about buying tomato plants. i know that loads of people do this and i was wondering what was the going price for a plant?
i was thinking it might be worth my while devoting a section of polytunnel to some plant next year for flogging  ???
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D
http://21stcenturygoodlife.blogspot.com/

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: tomato plants
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 17:43:41 »
Why the sad face after flogging? Nothing wrong with a bit of enterprise. Couple of years ago i bought some 12" can'tremembers for 25p a plant.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 17:52:49 »
Why not grow from seed? They're quite easy to grow, and more money in pocket for you!!
Lottie  ;D

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 17:57:16 »
it wasn't so much a sad face - more a puzzled face :)

undercarriage plan - i always grow mine from seed, i was thinking about growing loads more in order to sell cos im always left with loads of seed. moles seeds always do loads of seed for a great price so i could use them - 400 alicante seeds for £2.25
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 18:01:14 »
Aha!! Gotcha!  ;D
Lottie

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 19:10:44 »
400 times 25p. £100 go for it.

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 20:34:17 »
Elvis H Presley thats expensive! :o

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 21:45:03 »
Round here 25p to 35p depending where you go. Good idea you should try it.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:02:45 »
Garden centres are well over £1 or probably more, perhaps 50p per plant, with a discount for 4 or 6?

Sounds like a good way to make back the cost of some seeds  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 12:59:56 »
Plus you can take the side shoots that you need to remove and repot these.
Look on www.alanromans.com
Tomato seeds for 50p a pack!!!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 13:10:27 »
ooh now there's an idea...
gone to pot :D

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 15:11:19 »
Great idea - I had planned to buy tomato plants next year because really I have nowhere inside to start the seeds off. And my husband was sick of looking at my seed trays in his office (which happens to be the sunniest room in the house). So the plan was to buy small plants next year.

However, I have just bought a small poly tunnel - can I grow toms from seed in that? Even if it's not heated? I had thought that it wouldn't be warm enough. What do you think?

BTW Paranoid I think I would happily pay a 60p - £1 a plant for good quality toms.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 15:42:41 »
Gillian Where there's a will ..........  ;D  I have no window bottoms in my house so I have to rig up tables etc (pasting) and a two tier trolley affair (handy as it's got wheels on) and I put that in front of the window. Any sunny window will do (except the room the dog is in  :)) and that's how I raise my seeds.  Tomatoes like a bit of heat so I do them in my heated propagator again in front of my window on the pasting table etc.  You can use the spare room (or every room in the house in my case )
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 14:14:39 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 15:45:55 »
I do same as wardy - I use the iron board by the window sill for a lot of my seeds. Also thinking on constructing some n-shaped brackets to stand on the window sill to get a two-tired effect.

Mr Aqui has learnt to put up with seedlings by every window!

I also now have two heated propagators for starting things like toms, chilis, peppers, aubs etc.
gone to pot :D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 19:25:52 »
humm-not sure what to say. I could turn out Money Maker and rubbish like that for peanuts,-but that is not what I tried to do.

I had this dream of earning some decent `pin money` offering the very best of the Hybrids and more importantly rally tasty `heritage types`at prices well below GCs.

Ha dream on Cleo-OK I get some customers and do supply a whole food shop. But it`s not really viable for the hours I put in.

Car boots are interesting-I sell a bit,but some come and tell me they have seen Ailsa Craig on another pitch for 30p(sod what I offer),some others come and tell me how great the toms were and thanks for telling me how to save the seeds.

Never mind-the winning lottery numbers next week are--???

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 18:06:51 »
Wow-how things have changed!. That shop now phones me to ask for more plants-90 sold in a week and a half and sales from outside the house are around 15 a day.

It`s still just pin money but I was really fed up back then-now my enthusiasm is back ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 18:21:00 »
Cleo what would you do if you were asked to do a Money Maker load at 75p. a plant ,they wanted 200 plants and would prepay you to grow them ???
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

cleo

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 18:43:49 »
One is an English Gentleman-minor Public School and all that-I cannot compromise.

I may never be rich but one has one`s standards don`t you know ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 19:10:03 »
Cleo, if you had said anything else I would have been ashamed of you !!! XX Jeannine

Noblesse Oblige
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal