Author Topic: Pond Construction  (Read 1995 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Pond Construction
« on: April 08, 2007, 22:37:57 »
We decided (well, me mostly) that the pond in our garden was just too small, so with the long weekend looming, and good weather forecast, we set about dismantling our old pond and enlarging it and making it more natural.

The old small pond was removed and the hole enlarged.  As you can see from the photo, the sewer pipe runs through the pond (!) but we have used this as the edge to a large shallow shelf which I am hoping over time to be able to smother with marginal plants.

Our last pond had new sleepers edging it, but this time we decided to go for a softer, more natural look, so we have turfed up to the edge of the pond.  Due to the levels in the garden, I am going to have to create a gentle slope and seed some of it as we didn't want a definate ridge, but a gentle slope.

Around the back and sides we have used large slate tiles.  There will be plants in the gaps and we have some fab lumps of slate that will go back there.

To the left of the pond (as you look at the photo) we are going to have a boggy patch as I have 2 Gunneras to plant.  The pond is now 12 foot long and 7 foot wide.  I don't know how deep but the shallow shelf along the back comes to about mid calf on my darling.  Tomorrow whilst I am at the plot, he is going to tidy up the liner around the back of the pond, empty it, rinse it as some mortar fell into the water, and then refill it.  We have 4 goldfish and 2 golden orf to go back in once it is settled.  We will have to get some more fish it seems.  Good job fathers day is looming!

I shall add photos as I get it planted up.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 22:39:32 by EJ - Emma Jane »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Pond Construction
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 18:48:28 »
Looking good EJ!   ;D ;D

More pics when finished please!!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 23:52:24 »
Here are some more pics of the finished project.  All we need now are lots of plants and fishes!  I love the green leaping fish - mum gave it to us.  Camp as Christmas! 

To the right, the large pot on it's side is actually the water running into the pond from the filter.
To the left is a slate retaining wall and the boggy area which has 2 baby gunneras planted.  They are currently covered to keep them warm.
Excuse the ugly fence....thinking of what to do to make that prettier.

The 'water feature'

The retaining wall and boggy area

;D ;D ;D ;D

pye

• Half Acre
  • Little plot of London clay
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 13:34:36 »
Looks fantastic EJ. Have you got a pic of the old pond for a "before and after"?
You been goofin' with the bees?

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 13:38:20 »
EJ that is fantastic. You must have worked hard to get all that done in a long weekend!
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 16:20:02 »
Looking good there you lot! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal