Author Topic: Calling all lurkers  (Read 4655 times)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Calling all lurkers
« on: April 14, 2007, 09:28:55 »
No - not what you're thinking! It shouldn't be in The Watershed!

There have been lots of new members recently. I'm one of them. And we all spent several weeks or even months "lurking" as guests before we plucked up the courage to identify ourselves. Is it just my imagination, or has there been an increase in the number of un-named guests recently. As I started this, there were 18 Users, but 40 Guests.

Come on Lurkers! Pluck up courage and identify yourselves! It's like a virtual allotment group here - all sorts of characters & all sorts of advice (some of it even worth taking!). I've learnt lots, anyway! And it's fun!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Calling all lurkers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:38:49 »
I agree with this very much, I spoke to a Hull guest  off site just a few days ago and encouraged her to join the site,super lady with a new lottie near me, kids and folks all ages helping out, it was a real treat to see them, I gave the wee ones a couple of plants, so come on in and join us, the water is fine and we really don't bite !!! You will immediately be made welcome

Having said that, I lurked for almost a year, I am not sure why,I think it takes a bit of nerve in the beginning being the new kid on the block, but that feeling was gone in days!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 10:47:46 »
Well... I joined yeterday having found the site the day before so I didn't lurk too long I guess :)

My girlfriend and I have gone a bit gardening mad this year after living in the house for 5 years and doing nowt to the gardne all of a sudden this year we've been bitten by the bug! Completely starting from scratch by getting rid of almost everything and working from there! Got a small veg patch at the moment amidst the all the other plans and one of those little plastic walk in green house things to grow a few things in but I've put our name down for an allotment nearby (Upton St Leonards near Gloucester) and we're apparently 2nd in the waiting list so fingers crossed come the end of the year I should get one and then the experience I'll have gained growing veg in my little bit of garden at home this summer will be used next year on a much bigger scale! :)

I'm trying out tomatoes, cucumbers, sweetcorn, salad peppers, chives, runner beans, letuce, cauliflower and carrots this year so with any luck at least one of them will produce results! lol

so... any tips always welcome from all you experienced bods out there!

Also... does anyone have any idea how long I can expect to wait for the allotment considering I'm 2nd in the list? I kind of imagine people don't give them up all that often, esp now the gorwing season has started....

:)
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 10:50:54 »
On ours they tend to give them up when the annual rent becomes due,about now actually XX Jeannine  Welcome
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Cuke

• Half Acre
  • Abbeymead, Gloucester
    • Growing Our Own
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 10:55:10 »
lol yeah thats what i thought... we've just missed that apparently, it was beginning of the month! doh!
Our little corner of the blogging world http://www.growingourown.co.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:12:59 »
Yes but don't forget they are given time to pay, they ignore the letter ,weeks passand then the council eventually considers it abandoned, so unless you know for sure that everyone has paid up you still might make it. Good Luck XX Jeannine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 11:40:50 »
Unfortunate, but true, Cuke :(....if we have the predicted hot summer and there are elderly lotters out there, there might be a vacancy or two before the summer's out...

A&E in Torquay gets overloaded during the summer as elderly tourists wander down to the front from their hotels in the morning then get took badly on the way back up the hill later :-\

Anyway...welcome to Lotties from me!....great site, great gardeners, great info and great laughs...

Lishka

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:13 »
Welcome to the site, Cuke. Lovely part of the world - I envy you. And it's great when the gardening bugs hits, isn't it? You're growing a good range of veggies there - don't be shy about asking questions, no-one else is!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:56 »
Any more idiot volunteers?

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 19:54:30 »
Yup another lurker here, although I've only lurked for a month or so and found some really useful tips for my new lottie which i obtained 6 weeks ago. ;D ( I was lucky only 2 weeks waiting for an allotment) :D
After conning both husband and family members to come and dig the plot over a  few weekends we are nearly there, just 12 x 12 ft to go!
I have already planted strawberries, rhubarb, potatoes,  onions - red and white, spinach, carrots and parsnips in the lottie, and lots more in the greenhouse at home - french beans, peas, cabbage, peppers, tomato, aubergine and cucumber.
My main job this week is to obtain a shed - my poor vw beetle is overloaded with manure, tools and boots!
Look forward to sharing tips and news with everyone.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 19:56:28 »
and piccies, too, goldendaisy, we likes piccies  ;D

p.s..welcome to the club  :)

goldendaisy123

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 19:59:20 »
I'll remember that next time - must pinch back my memory card for my camera from my niece!
Thank you for the welcome. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 19:59:44 »
Welcome to the gang, sound like you will fit right in, right quick. You will find tons of info etc and some pretty decent folks too, a bit crazy,but we always have room for another nut. I shall look forward to hearing all about your new lottie and the smashing stuff you grow and the tips you bring too. XX Jeannine

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 20:04:48 »
Welcome to A4A and same to any new members who have joined over the past 2/3 weeks.Our numbers are certainly growing and I have probably missed sombody while I was in Kent for a couple of weeks.
Lorna

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 20:50:59 »
Can I give a polite nudge to any new members to put their location under their name if possible- not compulsory but it helps when you ask a question to know where you are, even a county is enough. (and some of us are just nosey!) ;) You do it by going into your profile- click on "forum profile information" then put it in "personal text". :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 21:12:35 »
A big Enfield welcome to both newbies.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 21:41:25 »
Hi Cuke,
We just got in at Upton!! Perry Orchard! Our plot is now 4 days old!
We put our name down for Saintbridge and Upton, but were 19th in Saintbridge and 10th in Upton, another lady started 2 days ago in Upton, the plot next to ours, so they are still placing people. I dont think there are any left at Perry Orchard now.
The Stanley is just round the corner, but we were told that they have problems with Rats, so didnt want that!
Good luck,
Sue
Abbeymead, Gloucester
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 23:45:46 »
Can I give a polite nudge to any new members to put their location under their name if possible- not compulsory but it helps when you ask a question to know where you are, even a county is enough. (and some of us are just nosey!) ;) You do it by going into your profile- click on "forum profile information" then put it in "personal text". :)

Just made several attempts  to update my profile Caroline - the function doesn't appear to be working.

Tricia

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 07:24:53 »
Don't forget to click on "Update Profile". I couldn't make it work until Tim pointed that out .

Welcome all to the asylum!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 08:24:50 »
Unfortunate, but true, Cuke :(....if we have the predicted hot summer and there are elderly lotters out there, there might be a vacancy or two before the summer's out...

A&E in Torquay gets overloaded during the summer as elderly tourists wander down to the front from their hotels in the morning then get took badly on the way back up the hill later :-\

Anyway...welcome to Lotties from me!....great site, great gardeners, great info and great laughs...

Lishka

just cos you nearly killed yourself with a bucket, no need to get all maudlin !  ;D

welcome to the newbies.  you'll learn loads in here.  there are experts by the bucketful here and when they don't know, we just make it up as we go along !

hope you have fun here and out on the plot (there are also loads of us back garden plottees - it's taken me a year to get from 21st to 3rd on my list - and i'm still waiting ...... i can feel a tune coming on).

MrsKP
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal