Author Topic: Whitefly.  (Read 1905 times)

carolinej

• Hectare
Whitefly.
« on: April 13, 2007, 22:38:01 »
Hello :)

I have grown plants including pepper and toms in my conservatory for 3 years and have never had trouble with whitefly.

This year, I already seem to have problems. Small white fly/moth things fly off my plants when I touch them. Not many, but is this an indication of an impending infestation?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of them other than sticky  card things?

cj :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Whitefly.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 09:18:44 »
Incredibly early?

As said elsewhere, sticky things seem to catch more hoverflies than baddies. But try the old trick of waving a sticky thing across the plants so that you only catch the bugs when they take off?

Difficult to squidge because they move!

There are always organic sprays from OrganicCatalogue.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:20:38 »
you could try growing nicotiana as a trap plant,which the whitefly prefer, and then burn it. Maybe a succession of  plants over the season

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:10 »
you could try growing nicotiana as a trap plant

I have some nicotiana sylvestris seedlings. Would they do the job?

cj :)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 13:30:11 »
I think so. Mind you I haven't had probs with whitefly, so I haven't used this method. Sylvestris is the lovely big hhp one? I'd perhaps have thought one of the smaller bedding types would be easier to handle, tho I don't like them as flowers. I suppose you have to sneak up on it when the whitefly aren't looking, pop a big bag over the top, and whisk it out of the g.h. sharpish........

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 13:46:19 »
I grow Tagetes Minutae in the green houses and have had no whitefly inside for years... still got loads on the brassicas of course... don't know if they would shift an infestation..
 ???

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 14:09:55 »
It comes across to me that your plants are in a dry atmosphere, try misting/spraying lightly with water a couple of times a day (while this hot spell lasts) they don't like damp conditions.

edit: but don't overdo it or you may encourage 'damping off'!!

theamatteurgardener

• Not So New ...
    • the.amatteur.gardener
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 19:14:18 »
Had a unpleasant little surprise on my pepper seedlings today - this dreaded whitefly lark.

Good job i've got the forum though - with a combination of sellotape to initially remove all the beggars, and then an empty bathroom spray cleaner bottle - i do believe i've got rid of them.

I think TeeGee nailed my problem most of all - the seedlings are for the time being in my little utility room which has the window shut all day - not any more though!

Cheers everyone.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal