Author Topic: Have I got to be a teetotaller?  (Read 1167 times)

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
Have I got to be a teetotaller?
« on: April 11, 2007, 22:38:28 »
It is reputed that Dean Martin said that he felt sorry for teetotallers because when the woke in the morning, they knew that is was the best that they would feel all day!

What has attacked my vine? I was hoping for a premier cru.

It is two years old and 6 feet high and all the buds are empty, just 0.5 cm brown shells.

The stems are still green and I shall not write it off yet. I have lived in this new house for two years and was expecting great growth this year.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Have I got to be a teetotaller?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 22:48:31 »
I did see your original post but had no idea- sorry

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 23:20:11 »
Don't think any pest or disease has attacked your vine, it's more likely to be frost damage to the main buds. Hopefully, you will find that growth will emerge from smaller, less apparent buds lower down the vine.
It's a bit early to expect a good crop from your vine, generally the first 2 to 3 years is the time when you train them, and they tend to start fruiting well after that.

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 01:09:27 »
Thank goodness.
There was a frost (only -1) in February, but it was after the buds had started to appear.
We only had frost on 8 days all winter, and -1 was the lowest temperature. I have a small studio in Nice and the lowest temperature was +3, so there is not much difference! No wonder my banana plant and maidenhead fern survived outside.
Carry on global warming!

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments2_my_allotment_in_liverpool.html

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 07:00:40 »
It shouldn't be frost damage at those temps... do you know the variety?
 :-\

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 13:34:56 »
I am in the same position with a couple of mine - both white grape Orion.  One of them has a small bud sprouting way down just above the graft, but otherwise seems dodo-ish.  The other one hasn't even got that much.  These are in their fourth year so I was expecting a good crop this year.

I lost one last year that I put down to frost + wind-chill (we had -10 inside a greenhouse last year!), but this year it hasn't been nearly that bad and both of these survived last year's frosts.  However the other Orions I've got are both looking very healthy and buds are swelling nicely.
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 14:48:23 »
Surprise, surprise, the vine has got new buds appearing in the same leaf axils as the eaten buds, whatever ate them I forgive them, their need must have been greater than mine.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 16:41:19 »
I have noticed mine has just decided to wake up, quite a few leaf buds now opening!!

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 21:06:15 »
I have teeny-tiny grapes coming on mine for the first time - yippee!

Better get some practice in now - ahem! -

you're my besht fwennnds... I wuvv oooo...(hic!)

;)

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal