Author Topic: Hello, Newbie here... with a quick question??  (Read 1265 times)

milkybardave

• Not So New ...
  • Confused of Southampton
Hello, Newbie here... with a quick question??
« on: April 12, 2007, 11:11:48 »
Hi All

Stumbled across the site yesterday & have already picked up some interesting tips & advice.

I don't have an allotment (yet), but a couple of raised beds at the end of the garden, as a first time veggie grower I am reliant on what I'm reading in books, but think I'll be using you all for my "Stupid" questions that the books don't answer!

Both beds are approx 2m x2m (Like I said..small) and in the last week I have been most excited to see garlic, onioins(from sets) & radishes pop up through the soil. I also think that this morning I spied 2, yes 2 Carrot seedlings & 1 Parsnip!!!

After all of the above I'll finally get to my question......

I know that once the plants are established, they'll need feeding... so what do I use & how often??

All advice greatly appreciated.

Also In my plot I have:

Lollo Rosso (in a pot)
Spring Onions (in a pot)
Charlotte Potatoes (Guess what... they're in 2 big pots)
One cherry tomato plant (I can't stand the horrible things, but the missus likes them in a salad)(this is also in a pot)
Maris piper Potatoes In two short rows
Leeks
Little Gem Lettuce
Rocket
& plans for some Runner beans.

Thats about it... thanks for reading...  ;D

per meus pala EGO vadum cavo  With my spade I will dig

MacArthur Park

• Quarter Acre
  • Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
Re: Hello, Newbie here... with a quick question??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 11:40:04 »
Welcome to the site MBD. :)

I use organic chicken manure pellets from B&Q and organic tomato food from Sainsburys. I also put on homemade compost whenever it's ready plus leafmould to improve the soil. Hope that helps.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 13:33:07 »
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you've a lovely little plottie in your garden. Amazing what will grow in a small space eh? If i were you i'd get your name on your local waiting list though..this is addictive...we started out growing in pots and the garden!  ::)
No such thing as a stupid q here on the basics, if you don't ask, you'll never know!
I don't feed my salady bits, never had to in pots but this is something i've been pondering on.
 Some of my toms get tom feed, some get beer slops from pub. Spuds get manurey soil and not a lot else, even water.
 Again home made compost and leafmould very useful, it's all about improving the soil and retaining it's moisture through use of mulches.
To get leaves for leaf mould try mooching up and down your local avenues with a bin bag- every one wants to say something, but never seem to know how to tell you off for collecting leaves! You're not allowed to do this in parks etc though.
I've not used the chicken pellets ( real chicken?!) before, not sure what veg they are used for.
Waits for more knowlegable soul.... 8)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

MacArthur Park

• Quarter Acre
  • Dewsbury, West Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 17:47:53 »
Lol emmy - that's chicken manure pellets!!! ::) ;D I just throw it around randomly as a general fertilizer, probably completely wrong thing to do mind!!!

What's this about not being allowed to collect leaves from parks? :o Oh no! I'm a criminal!!! ;D ;D ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 20:08:41 »
Lollo Rosso (in a pot)

One cherry tomato plant (I can't stand the horrible things, but the missus likes them in a salad)(this is also in a pot)

Because the above are in pots these will tend to leech out the fertiliser when you water them so after about three/four weeks give them a liquid feed about once a week with a general fertiliser, when the flowers 'set' and you see the embryo fruit feed once a week with a high potash feed (any tomato feed)

Charlotte Potatoes (Guess what... they're in 2 big pots)
Spring Onions (in a pot)

After about 4 weeks rake in an ounce of a granular general fertiliser about every four weeks or just water weekly with a general liquid fertiliser

Maris piper Potatoes In two short rows
Leeks
Little Gem Lettuce
Rocket & plans for some Runner beans.

Providing you gave the beds a dressing of fertiliser prior to planting they shouldn't need any more fertiliser.

milkybardave

• Not So New ...
  • Confused of Southampton
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 07:20:20 »
Thanks all

Tee Gee, Just the advice I was looking for!, I knew I did the right thing coming on here!

Dave
per meus pala EGO vadum cavo  With my spade I will dig

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 08:57:06 »
Welcome from me too XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SueLawn

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 13:43:06 »
Hi,
I am new too, I am on Day 3 with my allotment, but decided to give it a break today, I worked this morning, and thought I better get some food shopping in, and do a few jobs around the house! We are all off for the next 3 days, so hopefully we can achieve a lot over the weekend!
Good luck with your patch!
Sue

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal