Poll

Do you prefer to grow runner beans up

a wigwam arrangement of poles
8 (28.6%)
an A-frame arrangement of poles
20 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Ruuner Beans  (Read 4696 times)

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
Ruuner Beans
« on: May 20, 2004, 10:44:09 »
Thinking about my runner beans...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re:Ruuner Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 10:56:58 »
Do mine on neither!! My frame was put in by my 89 year old farmer friend that has been growing runners for most of those years....hmmm   hard to explain, a basic upside down U frame, 4 in a row all connected! which tilts forwards, so the beans can hang down, to aid length, straightness and picking. If I go up today will try and remember to take a photo, cos what I have written doesn't sound like it at all!!  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 11:02:31 »
Indeed - ours always lean at about 15deg. Outwards - not inwards. = Tim
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 11:03:31 by tim »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 12:27:24 »
I do a long A frame type jobee on the main plot, and wigwams dotted around on plot numero two.  Never thought of poking the poles outwards!  Must remember for next year!

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 17:02:48 »
Tried the A frame arrangement once with bamboo canes - it fell down in a bit of a blow! I use wigwams now only because they tend not to blow over.

My plottie neightbour has a permanent bean structure - made of 2 x 2 by the looks of if.  Along the row he has 'planted' lenghts of 3" plastic pipe for watering.....one day, maybe, I'll copy!
AC
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 18:45:20 »
I voted for A frame but atualy i use an X frame . This is very long canes placesd to cross in the middle rather than at the top. Short canes are placed across the intersection to strengthen the structure. It seems more stable than and A frame and the beans at the top of the canes are easier to reach because they are nearer.

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 19:31:07 »
My structure is canes at regular intervals around my Greenhouse with twine joining them at one foot intervals.This also provides shade in the greenhouse when needed.In theory anyhow.So sorry cant do the vote.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

The gardener

• Acre
  • In gardening-Effort in generally equals effort out
    • The Gardeners Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 20:03:04 »
The two end of mine are salvaged from sides of a swing my kids played with when they were little.

The cross bar is a piece of gas pipe.

I either use canes, wires or string as my plant support.

I have had this arrangement for teens of years, I just take it down, fold it up and place it in my greenhouse till required the following season.

This is it;

The Gardener

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 20:30:25 »
Last year i did a wigwam which fine, good crop and stable but this year i'm trying a A frame and an X frame to compare.

Two other Lottie owners have put their canes straight up and connected at the top with a short length  of hoseing to create an upside down U. Will be interested to see how that does.

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 21:09:50 »
I have said A frame but it has an extra couple of poles making a sort of wigwam at each end.   did use wigwams for years but find it easier not to miss the beans when picking on an A frame.  

Gardener that looks really sturdy.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

oubykh

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 21:19:26 »
Wicker - i have done the same but wasn't sure how to describe it - wigwam at the end is it though!

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 04:22:37 »
Went for wigwam as just starting out & didn't have a lot of cash for supports.   Also, didn't want to overproduce the beans.   I used 5 x 8 foot bamboo canes.  Have approx 2 foot of cane in the ground for stability & sowed 2 beans at the base of each cane.   This should produce enough for just me.

"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 08:18:33 »
ooeerr,
Haven't done mine yet - I'm going to plant my seeds today & will try the A frame method and hope that they 'catch up' with everyone else's!

Debs

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 09:33:39 »
Multi not a great piccie, but the weather has been too grot to get to plot to take a proper one! This was taken in October, and my runner bean leaning thing is to the right! (runs the width of the lottie!)

« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 09:34:41 by Doris_Pinks »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 13:22:12 »
I was wondering, what design is the best for intercropping? Probably the wigwam because you can plant between them whereas A or X frames the only 'free' space is soon shaded by the beans

A's or X's are probably best when using a bed system on the plot/lot. A wigwam can fit in anywhere (even in a flowerbed - as we did the first year in our current house and the veg plot wasnt ready).

I suppose the design doesnt make THAT much difference to size of crop does it? Just ease of picking and personal preference/aesthetics.  Be interested to hear if it DOES make a difference though.

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 16:50:37 »
Oh Debs....you're not alone...not done mine yet either....no ground ready - think I'll use the wigwam method tho this time as I'm so late...lottie neighbour bringing me some old canes of his to use....tried digging yesterday but it was so hard....however had heavy rain last evening so hope I can get there tomorrow and dig a bit more (hurt all over at the moment tho in spite of long soak)...really well behind with everything - I'm away such a lot....spent ages hand weeding between my shallots, onions and garlic, earthing up my potatoes and trying to hack down all the wilderness between my fruit trees....ran out of time and energy!!....really impressed by The Gardener's picture.....a bit puzzled by your frame D.P. the way it leans so much...what stops it from falling over.....is it just because frame is well pushed into the ground....

Ceri

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 18:43:07 »
I'm an X frame girl myself - I wouldn't have thought this would shade crops planted at the bottom of each leg of the X, until the beans reached right to the top of the X - hopefully by which time the lettuces or whatever may appreciate a bit of shade?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2004, 22:41:26 »
I realised I actually do an X like Richard and Ceri, and then wigwams dotted wherever there is room.

OP

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 08:41:04 »
Hmm - got my Peas on triangular based wigwams, interlocked by canes to increase stability.  My runners are being trained up my sweetcorn (3 sisters method).  Serves me perfectly well, and space efficient too.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 09:47:08 »
On intercropping, if you grow lettuce they like the part shade in the tunnnel of a A or X or an inverted U, which gives more room for the beans (they don't come together at the top) but is a lot more fiddly to erect and not as inherently stable

Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal