Author Topic: books for sale-ish  (Read 2602 times)

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
books for sale-ish
« on: April 09, 2007, 13:59:39 »
Following on from the "What are you reading?" thread. combined with our first ever turn out of books ( 4 big boxes already with 2 book cases, a garage and an attic yet to go through!)  and thought it might be worth a shot putting a brief selection on here.  Having read Dan's Sticky Post about this section, I propose a 50/50 split between A4A and our "waterproof the bathroom" fund (don't ask...) and payment cover the costs of postage.

On offer are (each are £1.50 with postage @ £1.50, combined postage available if you're interested!)

Carol Drinkwater, The Olive Season, PB
Also wrote The Olive Farm, year two of their life on a Provencal Olive Farm.

Frances Mayes, Under the Tuscan Sun, PB
An American buys an old villa in  Tuscany and goes about its restoration.

Chris Cohen, A Glass Village, PB
Life growing salads on an estate of small holdings in the early eighties.

Laurie Lee, As I Walked Out One Summer Morning, PB (postage £1.00)
Life after Cider With Rosie.

Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness, PB (postage £1.00)
Not set in Vietnam! It's a sailor's journey up the Congo searching for ivory, weath & power, Kurtz dominates the story.

I have loads more, but didn't want to overload the site and make a nuisance of myself.  We have so many books going spare that if there's anything in particular you're after feel free to let me know.

Jitterbug

• Hectare
  • Dance as if no one is watching...
    • Leighton Lottie
Re: books for sale-ish
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 13:53:44 »
Hello Bennettslegg

I have come back to this topic a couple of times now and am not sure if under the Tuscan Sky by Frances Mayles is the same as a book I am reading called "A year in Provence by Peter Mayle.  It wond the 1989 Travel Wirter of the Year - Can you shed some light?

Would also be interested in :

Laurie Lee, As I Walked Out One Summer Morning, PB (postage £1.00)
Life after Cider With Rosie - what is this book about - sounds interesting...

Carol Drinkwater, The Olive Season, PB
Also wrote The Olive Farm, year two of their life on a Provencal Olive Farm - have you got the first book as well - I have not read it.

This is the first time I am reading a book of this kind and I am quite liking it - reading about all the village people, their customs and way of life.  If it is a different biik I would be interested in reading it and a couple of others.  Let me know if we can do a swop of sorts..

Thanks

Jitterbug

PS ; How did your asparagus beds turn out - mine are now planted and I will have to pay the bed some attention as I have had weeds spring up all over despite my careful weeding...
If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning....

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 22:55:35 »
Have you heard of read it swap it?
A really good website for exchanging books.
Pass on the ones that you have finished with, and get something new to read for the cost of the postage.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 14:10:16 »
SueSteve that is a cracking link :D. Thank you.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:51:53 »
Hi Jitterbug
I'm afraid all the books went to charity at the end of April as I'd had no reply for a while .  Apologies. 

Life after Cider with Rosie is what the book "As I walked Out One Summer Morning" is about.

A Year in Provence was written in the 80's(?) and the chapters are in monthly installments.  It's also set in France.  Under the Tuscan Sun is a different book ( far better than Peter Mayle IMHO!!)

I haven't even started digging my asparagus bed!!  It's currently buried under a third of the soft fruit bed - sorry, Creeping Buttercup bed - and I'm going to tackle that next year after al lthe other beds are sorted out.  It's a bit daunting!

SueSteve
I'll go and search for that site right now!

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 11:13:39 »
You might also have a look here.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal