Author Topic: Boo boo with debris netting?  (Read 790 times)

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Boo boo with debris netting?
« on: April 08, 2007, 19:27:20 »
Helps if you post on the correct site I suppose............  :-[
I bought some of that debris netting with a view to keeping the butterflies off my brassicas and had a brainwave, or so I thought.  My soft fruit bed is wide enough to allow me to plant sprouts, calabrese etc around the edges.  So this morning hubby and I have netted up the whole bed, sides and top, tacking and pulling the netting, and it looks the part.  Then it suddenly dawned on me - pollination of the soft fruit! The netting is far too small for a bee to get in there.      Suggestions please..... doh!
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Boo boo with debris netting?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 19:34:00 »
Hi

Suggestion is that when your are on the plot you lift the netting which will allow some incects into the netting.

Or you lift it until the fruits start to ripen.

Cambourne7

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
Re: Boo boo with debris netting?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 19:41:22 »
But won't this also allow access for the dreaded brassica lovers?  I suppose it's where are my priorities are. Will the wind pollinate the soft fruit enough?  I'm not looking for full jam jars as they were on the plot when I took it over and thought I would keep them. I'm also on a steep learning curve with soft fruit as I haven't grown it before (cut down all raspberry canes down to the ground last winter on advice and now might be lucky to get ankle high fruit!).
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal