Author Topic: Nasturtiums?  (Read 3687 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Nasturtiums?
« on: April 07, 2007, 18:28:18 »
Is it still to chilly to plant these out??

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
Re: Nasturtiums?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 18:31:59 »
I just have to share with you our name for nasturtiums ~ nastyurchins!  I think it depends where you are and whereabouts you plant them, i would probably wait a week or two and that's on the sunny south coast!!!!!!!!!!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

flossie

• Hectare
  • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 18:33:44 »
There are quite a few self set ones up on the lotty, about 2cm tall now 8)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 18:36:44 »
They self-seed in my garden too and are quite tough little so and sos so they should be okay if you have hardened them off.  I sowed a few 'milkmaid' outside today.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 19:26:03 »
Super.  I shall harden them off over the next week, and then get them out and about in the garden.  Lovely!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 07:38:00 »
i thought nasturtiums were fully hardy?

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:18:07 »
I have the trailing variety, self sown all over the garden.
They seem to be very hardy and certainly can stand a little Frost.

One plant is in full flower in the unheated Greenhouse, has been for about 3 weeks, self sown from last year when I used Nasturtiums, Tagetes and Feverfew as companions with my GH Toms ... worked ace, never saw a Green/Black/White fly.

take a chance ... put them out
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 17:01:09 »
Yes, nasturtiuums are hardy.  But if they have been started off early undercover rather that sown directly where they are to flower in April then I think it's worth hardening them off for a week or so if you can, just to be on the safe side.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 18:02:20 »
Well they are enjoying being out in the wilds, growing fast. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 18:03:32 »
I grow the trailers, and they'll be going in this week. A little late, but I haven't been very organised. I get the occasional one self-set, but it's very much the exception.

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 19:15:58 »
I sowed mine yesterday, Tom Thumb variety. I have planted them along the paths at the allotment. I thought I would go for the minature version, because I had trailing ones at the last house, and they just took over everthing!
Must get round to getting some Calendula as well, but everytime I visit somewhere that sells seed I am draw to the veg section, looking for interesting squashes!! Rather than looking at the flowers!
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 21:34:27 »
Take over is exactly what I want them to do. I've got a big pile of rotten wood in front of a tumbledown shed, and the better covered they are, the more I like it. they were a disappointment last year, as they did nothing in the drought, but most years it's been a success.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 21:40:05 »
Nasturtiums thrive in poor soil conditions.  So don't feed them and just leave them too it and they should be fine.

G x
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 22:00:09 by Georgie »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 11:00:38 »
we planted them in manured ground last year, we got huge plants with very little flower, made good green manure and the cabbage whites loved them  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:09:12 »
....and the leaves can go in salads & the dried seeds used as peppercorns 8)

Rohaise

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:49:27 »
 I,ve grown Nasturtiums before ,and they are indeed tough little beauties. ..but this year I thought I,d try the climbing ones . But ,just how good are they at climbing ,will they be able to climb the side wall of our cottage ?   Or would they need fixing up some how,say on a net trellis?   I
    They are already coming up at the foot of the wall.  Even the leaves are beautiful I think .  :)  Rohaise  x

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 12:01:35 »
I grew them last year in my flower garden.  They became sacrificial plants against sawfly caterpillers which was a happy accident, but they looked terrible.  Might try them down the allotment on that basis.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Rohaise

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 12:10:38 »
Eeeeoooo!    :o Rohaise   

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 12:22:28 »
Mmmmmm,, yes, but I held off ripping them up to provide food for the young Thrushs, Blackies and Robins that were all hatching nearby.  It's tough feeling responsible for all those mouths.....
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 16:01:54 »
The climbing variety climb by twisting their leaf stems around supports such as canes or other plants.  They wouldn't be able to climb a wall unless you provided wires or similar.

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal