Author Topic: Advice needed - unfair swap  (Read 18073 times)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
Re: Advice needed - unfair swap
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 20:03:15 »
Thanks for the warning - like Mrs KP says it is sad but you cannot trust everyone but at least we can try to keep records and check their history on the site.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 20:24:31 »
I think we have to trust,when I first came on I wasn't sure about the swap bit, I didn't mind swapping but I was afraid I might be passed by as a newbie and I was nervous about that. I was so pleased  because someone trusted me straight away, it was Supersprout by the way.

I have had  1  minor bad experience  , no big deal, and a really sad one when  I sent quite a sizeable parcel of seeds  overseas and  they were never acknowledged,nor did  my swaps ever come, but that is a very tiny percentage of the envelopes I have posted.

I have never let that put me off,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 20:43:21 »
I can honestly say that to date (fingers crossed  ;D ;D) I have never met with anything other than honesty and generosity when swapping with people here.  Like most us, I happily do the 'seed' part without the 'swap' part precisely because I met with so much encouragement and open-handed giving from A4A-ers when I started off.  I guess sooner or later I'll get 'taken' but I will selfishly continue to trust and give cos I enjoy it  (and it's only seeds  ;D ;D)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 00:27:20 »
Here is a link to someone who is known as funplants. Interstingly, he particularly like bamboos. Seems to work in Cambridge.

https://auth.gardenweb.com/members/funplants

If it's not him then perhaps someone should give him a call & let him know that someone is impersonating him!
Just clicked on the link - and it would appear he is no longer looking for any seed swaps at this time, nor does he have any to offer at this time....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 13:52:34 »
I have had  1  minor bad experience  , no big deal, and a really sad one when  I sent quite a sizeable parcel of seeds  overseas and  they were never acknowledged,nor did  my swaps ever come, but that is a very tiny percentage of the envelopes I have posted.

Hope it's not me  ??? Please everyone let me know if you are not happy with any swaps I'm involved with I'd rather know! I am generous but very very busy and sometimes forgetful!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 18:40:50 »
Of course it's not you  you ninny,you have been super duper. It wasn't even Spain and it was someone who doesn't post any more, I think they only had about 5 posts, I should have known better as the request sounded fishy but I am an idiot.

You have been a fab swapper, great selection, speedy delivery, oh you dope.. I am laughing now.    Stop being so ruddy  daft!!! XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 20:07:14 »
you and me both Jeannine.  She really is a dafty !  lol

I am sitting here looking at my Muchamiel and Tres Cantos as we speak Biscombe.  ;D

I love talking to my "mates" who have introduced me to some wonderful plants through their generosity.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 21:21:32 »
You know Mrs KP, I was under the impression that she was bright girl too LOL a lot

XX Jeannine..

Come on Biscombe..reponse here before we get really personal!!!

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 21:45:51 »
she's a LOT brighter than me J.  She doesn't live in the west of scotland to start with roflmao

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Biscombe

• Hectare
  • Spanish Gardening In Orgiva
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 22:28:58 »
Awwwwww!!!! but I am a bit of a noodle head sometimes xxxxx

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 22:31:39 »
Pardon me in advance....Dope XX Jeannine

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2007, 09:40:59 »
I haven't heard anything from him... I do hope he is not ill or anything! If he is, I would be mortified.

Sorry to hear that your OH lost £100 like that, Mrs KP. :( Yes, unfortunately these things happen. I lost count of money I lend that never came back. I must be an easy prey! :-\ :D

I had a number of swaps here and most people have been very kind and generous including many who have posted in this thread! ;)  Seed/plant swap is great, I would never be put off.  :)

mikey

• Acre
  • Head Gardener
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 10:50:47 »
Tora,

sorry to hear of your bad experience   ... there will always be a few people who cannot be trusted, ce la vie

My contacts and dealings on A4A have always been wonderful, such generosity and folks are so very helpful.

A 'lady' who shall remain nameless (lives in West Midlands) sent me a parcel of live plants, her postage was around £2.00. At first she would not allow me to re-imburse her .... but eventually agreed to accept some postage stamps to 'balance the books' 

Everyone has been most generous with 'swaps', and I am building up a little group of contacts who are becoming 'A4A friends'

I always put my name and A4A handle in letters and parcels and have recently made some personal seed packets with my real name and A4A address printed on them.

I think the idea of a 'contacts' section on A4A is a good one, not that we should necessarily say 'keep away from XYZ' (I have never liked 'little Black books') but to recommend folks with whom we have had good experiences.

Mikey

« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:53:32 by mikey »
North Willingham, Lincolnshire (20 miles North East of Lincoln)  HASL: 55m

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 15:04:55 »

I think the idea of a 'contacts' section on A4A is a good one, not that we should necessarily say 'keep away from XYZ' (I have never liked 'little Black books') but to recommend folks with whom we have had good experiences.

Like a more informal - and eventually trustworthy - ebay system... Good idea.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 21:47:02 »

Sorry to hear that your OH lost £100 like that, Mrs KP.

not half as sorry as the OH was !  i wrote him the cheque thinking he'd already checked the bloke out, so this scoundrel had all my bank account details as well as the OH cash.  i was livid as you would expect and OH had a sore ear for days as well as a hole in his pocket !

we live and learn.

the number of fantastic friends that i have "met" and swapped with on this site (and and i count you in there too my dear) more than makes up for the bar stewards that you occasionally encounter.

i kinda hope you're bamboo man has fallen down a hole somewhere and is unable to keep his part of the deal, but then i'm not that wicked .... or am i ??   :P

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 22:18:46 »
I think the idea of a contacts list is good but is it workable. It would be terrible if a mistake was made, or something didn't come back but did weeks later because someone was ill or something. I am just working on a swap form that I fill in with a request and what is coming back to me,both addresses on, both forum names, both swap items shown too I will start sending it out with everything I send after next week, and I shall keep a copy. This will stop mistakes on my part and hopefull help others.

Xx Jeannine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 23:27:23 »
I've got a pretty simplistic take on this swapping thing - there again, I'm a pretty simple person ;D

Anything I give,  I give because it's superfluous to my requirements...if it's given as a swap, whether or not the swap is successful, for my part it's still superflous to my requirements......

I don't like the idea of scoring peeps' performance at all. I'm v. sorry that the occasional bad apple turns up, but if you think of all the swaps & given seeds that have whizzed around between us, there aren't many are there?

It's possible tho that if you're sending heavy stuff it wouldn't cause anyone offence to ask for postage in advance?

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2007, 02:34:02 »
Tora,
         I was looking at bamboo plants yesterday with a thought to buying
something for my borders,and was thinking of you.
         I haven't actually bought anything yet,but if you can tell me what kind it was that you were after I would be willing to buy the kind you wanted and split it with you :D
          This way I get the bamboo I'm after and you do too, without feeling you
need to send something in return ;)
          Everyone's a winner here :D
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2007, 09:41:54 »
Tora,
         I was looking at bamboo plants yesterday with a thought to buying
something for my borders,and was thinking of you.
         I haven't actually bought anything yet,but if you can tell me what kind it was that you were after I would be willing to buy the kind you wanted and split it with you :D
          This way I get the bamboo I'm after and you do too, without feeling you
need to send something in return ;)
          Everyone's a winner here :D

Awww Thank you so much for thinking of me! :-* I can't tell you how touched I am (sniffling).
The kind of bamboo I wanted was hardy bamboo, mainly phyllostachys. Funplants had a huge collection of phyllostachys bamboo. I was so excited when he offered me the plants...
How about you get a bamboo plant you want and keep it for a while in your border. Then when it's established I will gladly take your kind offer. :D What kind of bamboo do you like scotch-mist? I can buy a plant as well and then do the same (split it when it's big enough and send it to you).
I'm originally from Japan and bamboo is ubiquitous there. My glanddad's garden had a clump of bamboo and I loved listening to the rustling sound it made. :)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2007, 12:26:51 »

A 'lady' who shall remain nameless...

Mikey

cracks me up every time I read this ;D  who is this (in inverted commas) ..lady.. then...I think we should be told  ::) :P ;)

actually it was me..and do you know why I didn't want postage..cos I'm a gal who don't know her onions, is why....instead of Egyptian Walking Onions poor Mikey received.....leeks...runty little leeks at that...oh! and a couple of slugs as well...

How would that rate me on the score chart...bit like my school reports, perhaps?...."she tries hard..."

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal