Author Topic: Peas in a bed  (Read 1107 times)

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
Peas in a bed
« on: April 06, 2007, 13:28:05 »
I have grown peas before with some success.
Does anybody have any suggestions for getting the most out of 6' X 6' bed? It's all I can spare at the moment. I have purchased two varieties, Avola and Kelvedon Wonder.
Anthony

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Peas in a bed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 15:28:30 »
They need to be constantly damp under foot, being in Cork that shouldn't be a problem... support helps a lot... we start ours off rather than sow direct..

Been a lot of talk about peas recently.. use search if it works for you or scroll back..

saddad
 ;D

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 15:34:48 »
I've got some peas, so will probably do what you do saddad and start off indoors - our soils a bit lumpy for sowing direct, so most of my outdoor direct sow stuff is being sown indoors

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 16:32:38 »
This is how I sow mine; http://tinyurl.com/2wk6ft in this way I ensure I have no gaps in my rows.

I don't think there is is anything worse particularly if you are short of space to have gaps in a row.

Plus it lets you get off to bit of an early start and beats any field mice problems.

http://tinyurl.com/2t6yvb

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 22:22:40 »
I would avoid filling the whole bed immediately as you will end up with a glut of peas, why not plant 2 rows of each now and two of each in 3 weeks of so. You can see mine on
http://www.allaboutliverpool.com/allaboutallotments_Vegetables_peas.html

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:38:56 »
Sow successionally and pick your varieties with care.
I like Twinkle, Celebration and Early Onward for first crops, then Onward, Jaguar and Hurst Greenshaft, which all seem to crop quickly.
Seems to me that if you've got a nice rich bed to use, you could keep sowing and picking throughout the season. Sometimes start mine off by putting them in a seed tray (the entire packet, will nilly) covering with moist compost, waiting for them to start sprouting, (have a poke around and look, they don't take more than a week) then planting them as soon as they've germinated, I don't wait for them to produce leaves etc, I just scatter the germinated seeds in the drill.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 07:46:28 »
I wouldnt sow successionaly in such a small space I would fill it to the max, harvest and freeze excess remove the peas and then stick something else in the space. This could even be a second batch of peas brought on in guttering/trays. You may also benefit from growing a more prolific taller variety such as Alderman but watch that it doesnt shade other plants

Glow

aob9

• Quarter Acre
  • Fermoy, Co.Cork,Ireland
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 14:01:45 »
Thanks for the response. Plenty to think about.
Anthony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal