Author Topic: Canes for tomatoes /peas etc  (Read 841 times)

ksia

• Quarter Acre
  • Mayenne, France
Canes for tomatoes /peas etc
« on: April 06, 2007, 18:17:12 »
Hi,

over winter we trimmed lots of conifers and I've some nice long / middle sized canes.

Do you think they'll be ok? I seem to half remember that conifers / pine leaves do something to the soil..make it more acid..I don't know? Would the cane do that also? Anyway any problems you foresee? Any plants I should avoid these canes with?

Thanks alot
K

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Canes for tomatoes /peas etc
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 21:08:14 »
If they have had the needles trimmed off I would use them...
 :-\

allaboutliverpool

• Hectare
  • allaboutliverpool.com
    • My Allotment in Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 22:06:59 »
You should be able to use them for anything as the needles drop off, but they are not very strong, tending to be brittle which seems odd for a tree that survives extremes of weather. They are great for peas as they only have to last a few weeks. The thicker ones are OK as stakes, remember old Christmas trees that hang about for ages.

http://www.allaboutliverpool.com

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:08:22 »
Conifers are brittle, and I wonder whether that's an adaptation to heavy snowfall; better to have one branch break off than the whole tree damaged. They tend to be northern species, after all. I'm trying bamboo wigwams this year, same as for the sweet peas. I'm only planting a few Purple-Podded and Ne Plus Ultra, to try some and save the rest for seed. I planted them in pots yesterday, and found I had roughly twice as many seeds as it said on the packet, so I won't be too badly off.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal