Author Topic: The curse of the Tomato!  (Read 1803 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
The curse of the Tomato!
« on: May 18, 2004, 07:23:35 »
Yet again I have failed in my attempt to grow tomatoes even before the plants have passed 12" in height..... My cloche must have magnified the sun yesterday and I have 12 plants all in a very sorry state.. I thought I may bring them back with watering last night but this morning they were still looking pretty glum.!  Is there such thing as luck in these matters or am I just not thinking ahead?  I think being at work all day and not being able to keep an eye on them is a big factor.... This has now become a standing joke in the family after 4 years of flopped tomatoes..!   :P

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:The curse of the Tomato!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 08:43:38 »
Anything under cloches in that sun would look a bit glum. I reckon they'll recover.

Q : Why cloches at this time during the day? If the plants were hardened off, they would only need them at night - not even that if you're down south.

Or is the lottie too far away to put them off & on? = Tim

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:37:41 »
Tim,

It was just a matter of space really!  I had every intention of planting them up the Lottie but still trying to clear an area which has not seen a fork in years...What I need is to bribe some friends to come and help me blitz the ground so as I can get everything in... It is frustrating.!  I have 8 days off from Thursday so am hoping for a good run if the weather holds..

Ad

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 11:28:30 »
Adam, you could have a lottie clearing party! You provide beer, they provide the hard work ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 11:35:20 »
 - but keep the barrel in the shade!! = Tim

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 11:43:40 »
Ha ha..  :D  You dont know how many of my friends have said that cant wait to taste the fruits of my labour but for some reason always seem busy when I ask them if they fancy coming to help me..!  I have managed to persuade my son to come and help on Thursday!  Lets hope he dont change his mind...!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal