Author Topic: Notes from an ex `masher`  (Read 1892 times)

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Notes from an ex `masher`
« on: April 06, 2007, 17:32:51 »
19/11/83

Blew up my boiler-welcome Electrim at £25.20. Had it`s innaugral mash.

Now before I go on I should mention that my old boiler developed a fault resulting in the element going red hot and melting before it cut out-so back to the notes and you will see why I named it-

China Syndrome Lager

9lb Lager Malt

5oz Crystal Malt

2oz Saaz Hops

2oz Hallertau hops

Grey Owl lager culture

Does anyone still mash their own beer?

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
Re: Notes from an ex `masher`
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:59:47 »
 Hi cleo,
             Not any more, I used to but now because most of my time is spent gardening  8) I just use malt extract plus grains . What i do briefly , is boil up22 litres of  water in my burco. In a saucepan place 1 litre of boiled water held at a temp of 150dgs F I put 150 gms of crushed crystal malt plus 100 gms melanoiden malt (available from home brew shop) leave that stewing for 30 mins.  Then add 2 X1.8kg
 tins of pale malt extract, strain in the liquor from the soaked grains, add 50 gms challenger hops & 50 gms golding hops, then bring up to the boil for 30 mins.
 Switch off boiler, and cool with home made beer cooler. Strain off into fermenter & add a good ale yeast (gervin). Makes a cracking beer, about 4%, much quicker than mashing. ;D
                            Adrian.

David R

• Acre
Re: Notes from an ex `masher`
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:13:27 »
me!

I brew with a pal. We only do full mashed beer, and use home grown hops.

done loads of different things and won some awards to boot ;D

Dont brew that often, as I travel 50 miles to his house (used to do it at mine but we both moved and he has a "brewhouse" garden outhouse).

We use ritchie boilers which can be temperamental and they are quite old now.  Thinking of converting a large steel container to brew larger length.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal