Author Topic: First Aid Kit for Allotment  (Read 12791 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
First Aid Kit for Allotment
« on: April 06, 2007, 13:02:54 »
Hi Guys,

I have asked the Parish Council to obtain a first aid kit for the site which i have offered to put in my shed as i dont lock it.

What would you think would be essentials that the kit would need to have?

Cambourne7

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: First Aid Kit for Allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 13:21:11 »
Hi Cambourne I think you are better to buy one complete, then refill as required, they come in many sizes and prices,from wee travel ones to large industrial ones.
XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 17:48:22 »
eric bought one for our plots, it comes without antiseptic cream, he asked the chemist to make one up and was told he couldn't, we had to buy one already made  :o

it has
plasters, scissors, we added these
bandages, we added these
different size dressings, including a sling, which we added
cleansing wipes
antiseptic wash, which we added
and the tube of cream, again we added
 :)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 18:02:42 »
:)

steri strips in case you cut your finger in half like I did ;D ::)/shades x
grow your own way

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 18:04:43 »
One thing you won't find in a commercial kit that is a must have for me is an ITCH STICK,  that is my pet name for an AFTER BITE pen. I don't know what they are called here but I am sure they must be available,they work on the principal that if you itch and spit on it the itch goes away. Contains  mild diluted ammonia and oil. It is like a felt tip pen but with a plastic end with a tiny hole in. If you get stung by something and use the pen it stops the itch almost immediatly. Great little gadget.

I refill my Canadian ones and they work fine.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 21:46:00 »
burn gel... and i would advise suncream... I forgot to put some on today and i look like a beetroot!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 23:27:43 »
Antihistimine?  I carry it anyhow for daughter, but have taken it when I have been stung by wasps or badly burnt on parsnip foliage.

Would agree with the aftersun or some sort of coolant like calamine lotion.

Waspeze or stingeze cream like Jeannine.

Tweezers to remove splinters?

For me in my shed, I have Piriton, plasters, antiseptic cleaning wipes, wet ones, paracetamol and waspeze.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 23:31:39 »
I have to have my epipen and pills, it is the injection I have to thrust into my thigh and hot foot it to the hospital before I croak, I am full blown  allergic to Latex. XX Jeannine

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 23:37:09 »
Really Jeannine!  I carry an epipen for daughter incase of a serious reaction. 

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 23:54:01 »
good list anything else???

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 00:14:27 »
Yes a tiny magifier for looking for splinters..And a bottle of water,there is very little clean on anallotment if you want to wash a wound.

Rubber gloves,in my case non latex ones,you don't want other peoples blood on you,you really don't.

XX Jeannine

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 00:24:20 »
And a small notice to say these items are used at your own risk etc. no liability to you or allotment and all that  H & S fing (don't forget to check the "use by dates" regularly).   

IMHO H & S ought to be pleased someone is caring about the welfare of fellow allotmenteers, but it don't work that way, guv.
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Si

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 01:51:13 »
The majority of accidents I've seen occurred on the roadside, as RTA's near the lottie. Therefore I would have a blanket to help people in shock.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 19:26:26 »
I would have an eye bath in case anything blows into someones eye, and a patch in case anyone spikes their eye (the patch should help the patient not to blink). I have a thing about eye injuries. Uncle Hector from when I was a kid lost an eye on a bamboo cane. Even if you cover yours, someone somewhere won't... 

There's a story on our plot of someone who cut themselves & died a few weeks later - she was a nurse too! Who would've thought vegetables could be so dangerous?!?!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 20:09:22 »
As Jeannie said buy one thats complete, don't buy any creams because you don't know if anyones allergic to them and definately no pills.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 08:29:42 »
[quote
There's a story on our plot of someone who cut themselves & died a few weeks later - she was a nurse too! Who would've thought vegetables could be so dangerous?!?!

[/quote]

I'm nervous now - got a massive splinter upt the plot last night and it will NOT come out dispite many soakings in lemon juice and v warm water... I was going to go to the drs on tuesday to have it cut out... unless anyone has any better ideas.  Its on my right hand too and there is no end to tweezer it.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 09:43:43 »
I've had a splinter in my finger since 1999; I can just see it as a purple line, but I've never managed to get it out.

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 09:46:10 »
My mother in law swears by mixing butter and sugar into a paste then putting on the splinter and covering with a plaster for a day or two to bring it to the surface.  May be a bit too late for your one though Robert!
If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 12:45:15 »
Made up kit for lottie in giant tupperware style box. It includes : steri-strips, bandages, safety pins, plasters and plaster roll, eye wash ( but no patch) tweezers, antiseptic cream, sting & bite cream, 1l bottle of water, wipes, gauze and my daughters play stethoscope. Although when i put my foot in a hole dug by one of my adorable little **** and twisted it, none of the above was of the slightest use so will be adding sports support bandage to the box!  ::)
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 14:45:59 »
My mother in law swears by mixing butter and sugar into a paste then putting on the splinter and covering with a plaster for a day or two to bring it to the surface.  May be a bit too late for your one though Robert!

variation on a theme?......from 'Home Remedies for Common Ailments' by Dr. James le Fanu....recommended by a contributor & endorsed as a working solution...make a paste of soft soap + brown sugar (must be brown they say) on a piece of lint.  Place on site of splinter, stick down firmly with plaster. Leave overnight. The splinter will (it's claimed) be drawn out & be on the lint in the morning.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal