Author Topic: Epsom Salts  (Read 3142 times)

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
Epsom Salts
« on: May 17, 2004, 21:04:19 »
Look's like my mum's loss of sight is permanent so I'll keep posting on her behalf [if that's ok] She has seen Epsom Salts for the garden in Lidl but doesn't know what they are used for, does anyone know please?

Chezzie    :-\

john_miller

• Hectare
Re:Epsom Salts
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 21:14:02 »
Chemically Epsom salts are MgSO4. The Mg is magnesium, a neccessary, and major, plant nutrient, being a constituent of cholorophyll. Use warily (i.e. only whem a deficency is apparent) as it can cause precipitation problems with other nutrients, especially calcium.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 21:35:11 »
Hi. I spray an epsom salt solution (1 teaspoon per liter water) on pepper plants as they start blooming. The leaves sure do get a pretty dark green from it. I read somewhere long ago that it's good for pepper plants (and maybe helps set the fruits?).

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 21:38:19 »
Thanks Ina, I'll pass it on.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 06:54:15 »
Sorry about Mum.

Epsom? We use it at 4oz/gal on toms & raspberries if we get chlorosis - yellowing between the veins & at the tips. This is by sprayer, the fastest method. Two-three times - 2 weeks apart. = Tim

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 07:29:04 »
Thanks Tim

So according to you and John it should only be used as medicinal, took I bit of time to realise that you were the same Tim!

Chezzie

[not famous for my brain]

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 14:02:10 »
I do wonder if 'Epsom salts for gardens' isn't just a ploy to increase the price over the same product you can find in a pharmacy? Should you feel that Epsom salts are neccessary you might want to do some comparison shopping first!
A magnesium induced calcium deficency can be far more devastating to a crop than a magnesium deficency, which is why I would counsel restraint in it's use. While magnesium deficency in tomatoes is quite common unneccessary use of Epsom salts could precipitate blosson end rot in (or cause smaller fruit in other crops) if calcium is rendered inaccessible to the plant.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 16:18:50 »
So - give 'em some calcium as well to ward off ber?? = Tim

Chezzie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 17:15:29 »
If anyone needs it I would suggest Lidl is the best price, I think she's better off wiating until she gets a problem then I'll ask your advice again...............safer!

Thanks Chezzie

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 00:19:33 »
I would do as you do Tim- foliar feed and forget about potential problems in the soil.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal