Author Topic: new natural pond  (Read 2273 times)

flower Power

• Not So New ...
new natural pond
« on: April 22, 2007, 20:00:21 »
my partner and i are are in the process of biulding a natural pond approx 3.8 m x 2.o m , 0.60 cm at the deepest , and would like to know of any good "on line sites " for the Butyl liner and plants etc or any good aquatic suppliers down in sunny Kent that come with a good recomendation.

Thanks for your help

flower Power

• Not So New ...
Re: new natural pond
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 20:48:24 »
Here it is!
Did it last weekend.
Any tips on how to hide the liner
Any tips would be a great help. Thanks

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 22:10:21 »
Hi there.With it being a natural pond,the best way of hiding the liner is to plant trailing plants round the edge that don't mind being in the water itself.You could even put some more grass around the edge so it grows over.You do need to plant well behind the pond on at least 2 sides,so it helps shade the pond and gives amphibians somewhere to shelter when they first come out from the pond.In the spring through to autumn I cannot get behind mine at all.Ferns and hostas look very natural.There are many plants that like the damp,you could even make a boggy area as well.It will mean digging back uop some of the grass you have now but it would be wiorth it.

The pond looks great by the way,but it takes a while to mature so don't worry that it will look a bit sparse for a while. You could also put a pile of rotting logs in the middle of the plants that will encourage the insects that frogs and newts need to live on.
Margaret

flower Power

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 06:20:42 »
Thanks for the tips Margaret. Very helpfull. :)

flower Power

• Not So New ...
Re: new natural pond.. update!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 19:02:36 »
Its coming on slowly.
Ordered plants from internet that should be with us shortly.

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 21:46:21 »
It's looking good already,you have worked hard.Mine is so overgrown at the moment.Lovely to watch the newts swimming up and down through the weed and the young frogs jumping in from underneath the plants that overhang when i get near the edge.I love having both the fish ponds and the nature pond as they are so different.You will be hooked before long too!!
Margaret

Janeee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 14:45:03 »
It looks like you done a great job on it so far :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal