Author Topic: Do you tramp it back down again?  (Read 1973 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Do you tramp it back down again?
« on: April 09, 2007, 23:44:06 »
I have read in my books that when you freshly fork over or dig an area, you should then walk all over it to settle it back down again.  However, I have read in other books that if you work on heavy soil, you don't really need to as given a short space of time, the ground will weigh itself down again.  Well, I have heavy soil, and I need to dig regularly to keep the ground friable and soft enough to plant in - it is ideal ground for brassicas but can be rubbish for carrots!  Do you stomp all over your freshly turned bed, or not?  Should I be stomping all over my freshly turned beds??

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Re: Do you tramp it back down again?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 23:47:25 »
hmmm, well I try never to walk on my beds, but my lottie neighbour has been deliberately walking on his to compact them ...

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 23:53:56 »
We certainly tramp hard for brussel sprouts and firm around cabbages/caulis/calabrese  but apart from that we keep off beds.
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 23:55:17 »
My soil is heavy clay, so I try and avoid walking on it as it compacts itself very quickly. though saying that once you have planted and hoed a couple of times it seems to stay fluffy.
I have just turned most of my plot and its great, just right for sowing. the bit for my Brussels I have left well alone since the Autumn/Early Winter and its like concrete.

Regards

Matt

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:12:01 »
On the carrot thing I do use the back of the rake to flatten the drill as they like good contact with the soil to help germinate.. if I walked on my clay soil the carrots would never get out! A line of fleece over to help keep it moist and stop it capping is needed as well...
 :-\

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:18:44 »
Brassicas like firm soil, so I normally walk on that to fletten it (especially as my winter brassicas usually follow the potatoes, so the soil is very loose.) Otherwise, keep off!

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 07:28:25 »
Hi EJ, Hi all  :)

Like dad I use the back of the rake to firm the drill, this makes sure the
seeds have contact with the soil and I firm transplanted seedlings firmer than seeds but otherwise once its raked I don`t walk anywhere exept the paths. After raking I sink into my soil when I first walk on it, its extremely
fine.

I think the microscopic life and insects benefit from having air in the
soil. If you walk on it you make it harder for bacteria and such like to
do whatever it is they do.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:06 »
I only stomp for brassicas. Otherwise, keep off.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 14:04:07 »
I try to avoid walking on the soil at any time, even when planting out.

As you may have seen on the slide shows I displayed recently I use a piece of scaffold board to walk/kneel on.

Meaning the only compaction my soil gets after digging is my weight as I stand/kneel on the board.

I was always taught that digging and hoeing is like making a good 'Yorkshire pudding' the more air you get in to it the better the results!

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 19:56:22 »
Matt like you I have heavy clay soil and try not to walk on it  8)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 23:15:51 »
Super.  I shall continue doing my no walking method.  I do pat down with a rake gently when I have sowed seeds.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal