Author Topic: Dahlia questions  (Read 2184 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Dahlia questions
« on: March 29, 2007, 09:08:12 »
four quickies. as you may guess im pretty much in the dark about this. I have some dahlia tubers, some small dahlia seeds just emerging and some giant dahlias quite well grown - just pinched out.
------------------------------------------------------

when do people plant out the tubers?

when do people plant out the plants from seed?

will my grown from seed plants survive in an unheated greenhouse from now onwards, in a fleece tent?

and finally when I read about stacking dahlias to protect from wind etc what kind of stake should i use - will a normal garden cane suffice or do I need something sturdier?

thanks in advance

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Dahlia questions
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 13:10:00 »
As you can see I live up on the same hills a little above you and this is my procedure;

when do people plant out the tubers?; Early to Mid May if they have not made any top growth, if they have leave till the first week in June

when do people plant out the plants from seed?;  Early June;

will my grown from seed plants survive in an unheated greenhouse from now onwards, in a fleece tent?; Providing it is frost free!

and finally when I read about stacking dahlias to protect from wind etc what kind of stake should i use - will a normal garden cane suffice or do I need something sturdier?;  The sturdier the better if you can get hold of some Chestnut fencing pales these are ideal. Otherwise use a cane/s.

Position the supports in a triangle around each plant and wrap a line of string round them to form a 'cage' If they are tall Dahlias you might need more than one line of string around.

There is a bit more info here; http://tinyurl.com/2lbqtn  and here; http://tinyurl.com/2w8qeu

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 14:10:51 »
Position the supports in a triangle around each plant and wrap a line of string round them to form a 'cage' If they are tall Dahlias you might need more than one line of string around.

Wow thats a lot of canes, I might have too many plants.  :(

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 15:15:24 »
I might have too many plants.

Are they bedding Dahlias from seed ? or what I call exhibition disbud types?

If they are the former you might get away with one or two canes per plant providing they are quite stout canes e.g min 1/2" diameter!

You could also set them out in a row and put posts up either side of the row and string wire along to make a bit of an enclosure.

see 2nd pic here; http://tinyurl.com/ymkgk5

glow777

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 16:12:27 »
they are exactly these

http://www.alanromans.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=2&P_ID=744&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=119

plus some that I have as tubers. I planted 20 (of the seeds) all germinated and are now rather largish and sat on my office window. I pinched them out last week and they are already side shooting quite well.
The remaining 20 got given to someone on a4a so I best not kill these! all in not bad for 50p

BTW thanks for helping
Glow

Rohaise

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 19:12:53 »
Hallo all !  My Dahlias ,I grew from seed also and some now even have buds on ....I have never grown Dahlias from seed before and I am amazed at how easily and quickly they all germinated , some have buds on ,but I too was wondering wether to pinch them back ?    They are in a greenhouse with a little heater.....when can they (generally ) be put out to harden off please ?      and thankyou   Rohaise          :)

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 09:59:45 »
I planted my tubers at the beggining of March in our frost-free greenhouse, and they are now just beggning to sprout. I intend to take some cuttings of them, to help increase the amount! I also have some seedlings soming up - as dahlias are half hardy though, I would've thought they would need protection from all frost? I'd expect the seedlings to be especially vunerable though as they are young plants...

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 23:45:27 »
I have a question about Dahlias. I know many people who plant out, get the tubers to sprout and get growing before planting, but what about planting the tubers out before they start growing? When should this be done and most importantly how deep should they be planted?  I am never sure and tend to guess a bit.

Thanks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 15:23:28 »
When should this be done and most importantly how deep should they be planted?

The critical thing is when the new growth emerges!!

If they emerge before the last frosts have passed the new growth will require some protection.

If you know you frost patterns in your area you can plant out two or three weeks before this.

I find that 2"-3" of cover over the tuber is sufficient.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal