Author Topic: Garlic flowering  (Read 2012 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Garlic flowering
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:44:05 »
On my winter planted garlics, 2 of the elephant ones have produced flower buds....now....I picked 'em off, was that the right thing to do?  None of the others have flowers yet.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Garlic flowering
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 16:21:27 »
Check the instructions - I know that one type of garlic is supposed to flower.  = Tim

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 18:35:21 »
[whisper mode on]: Thing is Tim, I labelled them all beautifully back in the winter when I planted them, but before I noticed, the weather had washed the names clean away, and as I have grown 6 varieties, they could be anything!  :-\  Oh well, shall have to wait and see.  :-[[whipser mode off]

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 06:27:10 »
Please note, everyone - get yourselves a decent pen!! = Tim

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 08:59:02 »
A 2B pencil is much more indelible than any ink that I've found

Phil

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 11:31:01 »
Checked one lot of shallots today, & found that every shoot was producing a flower bud. Never ever had that before. = Tim

Sarah_O

• Not So New ...
  • Another year older another year wiser
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 21:34:21 »
E.J I had a search round on the net as my Garlic has buds too. I found only a couple of sites that said to remove the flower but none of the others mentioned the bud at all. I've cut half the buds off mine (and will try them in a salad as they are edible) fingers crossed. Hope this helps.  :)
Sarah
"Brains first and then hard work." -Eeyore

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2004, 22:40:16 »
Thanks Sarah.  I am cross now as I didn't think of eating the flowers!  >:(  Oh well, I will know better next time.  I have nipped the flowers off them, I think about 6 have have produced flowers and I will see how they go.

PS.  Tim and Phil, I know, I know.....My pens are normally fine, but I used old CDs as markers and wrote on them, and within days they were gone!  :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal