Author Topic: Allotment Visit Results!  (Read 2901 times)

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
Allotment Visit Results!
« on: April 04, 2007, 17:41:33 »
Hi all,

Had an absolutely great time at the allotment site! I'm really eager to get going now. The site gets full sun all day, is on top of a hill so a little breezy, but no worries! It's a very big site, and is split in 2 halves. Here are my notes I made;

1. Security - few/no problems with vandals, fencing most of the way around, padlocks on the gates and water taps
2. Annual rent would be around 20 pounds for a 20ft x 40ft plot
3. On our half of the site, there are 3 water taps, although the nearest one is around 100 yards away. Water is 5 pounds 60 a year, and hosepipes are only allowed to fill up water butts
4. Normally, as our area is overgrown, there would be a 50 pound rotivation fee, but the manager will get it done for free as a large area is being done in one go, and she would like to get it sorted - she said something about getting it done next week
5. Greenhouses and sheds ARE allowed on the allotment
6. Soil is mainly clay, but after having it rotivated and manure added, most other plots look like they have excellent soil
7. Soil, manure etc. can be delivered, as long as the delivery vehicle can get to the plot
8. There is an allotment shop which sells seed potatoes, onion sets etc. and it is open on Wednesdays and Sundays
9. Parking is available just outside the site, but if it is full, you can always drive your car up to your allotment
10. You get a key to open the gate and water taps once you've payed the rent
11. There is a committee, but the chairman died on Sunday, so it's a bit manic

Here are some of the pics I took

This is a picture of the site on which our allotment is going to be based...we'll be sorting out borderlines shortly with the manager, so I can't really draw on the picture where it is, or how big it's going to be!

Another picture of the site...if you look at the background, you can see Redditch Town Centre, and St. Stephens Church

I like taking pictures of grass! Our allotment isn't all of that land, about a third I reckon

This is a picture of another persons allotment. This allotment was taken over in Winter, and as you can see, it has a very nice soil structure! If you look to the right of it, you can see a strip of grass, which leads up to our 'to-be' plot, just over the hill

As I said earlier, the site is split in two halves (by a public pathway, although this is fenced off. This side is full, so our plot is on the other side. However, the key we would get opens both gated, and the shop is on this side.

This is a picture overlooking our side of the allotments - it's very panoramic!

Again, another picture of our 'to-be' allotment, and again, not all of it!

Annnnnd one last picture of our 'to-be' allotment - and to think....you're supposed to leave the allotment in the state you found it!

I am really excited about this! I will definitely be getting an allotment, no matter what dad says! Just one query, dad estimates that the size of our plot would be around 20ft x 40ft...personally, I think this is a tad to small, so I might write to the manager as she said we could change the size! There are 9 rotational beds I would like to include, plus at least 5 permanent ones, and a sitting area, and a compost area, and a flower bed an a shed/greenhouse! I was just wondering, how big is everyone elses allotment, and how many good sized beds would you get on it? I'll let you know any further progress on this, and I'll try and keep you updated with pics! Hope you enjoyed reading this, I certainly enjoyed visiting! Thanks :)

Pete

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: Allotment Visit Results!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 17:51:03 »
Looks like you have already decided! ;D

Good luck with convincing your dad.......
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 18:13:43 »
Ours is 55ft x 25 ft  and we could do with a bit more space - mainly because I like sprouts and purple sprouting broccoli and sweetcorn which take up a lot of room. Otherwise we'd be fine. Mind you, I grow the tomatoes and chillies at home, so that saves some space.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 22:26:17 »
If you have it rotavated, look out for what comes back up. It looks as though it's full of couch, and rotavating will only chop it up, not kill it. Dig out what you can, and black plastic the rest till you can get round to it. Or black plastic it and plant through holes in the plastic.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 23:00:23 »
Looks full of potential Pete... hope you have a great year ahead...
 ;D

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 08:30:04 »
looks like you got a smasher there mate, just need to start clearing, remember to take more photo's

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 14:47:41 »
Thanks for all the support! Just got some better news - the manager will contact us once the ground is rotovated. We can then go and have another look, just to make sure we're sure! She said that we can have as much or as little ground as we want, and that the average size plot is 126 square meters (about 413 feet). I would obviously need more than this (or is it not obvious??) as my dad and I are planning on getting a full 9-bed crop rotation plan, several permanent beds for jerusalem artichokes, rhubarb, strawberries etc, a shed/greenhouse, a compost area, a seating area and I would also like a decent sized bed for my new found hobby of gourd and squash growing - then I can start to bumb up my collection :) Sheds need to be around 6ft x 6ft, and I'm not sure about greenhouses. The manager will be meeting the rotovating contractor on Tuesday, so I'll hopefully have an update for you then :) By for now

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 15:51:51 »
Good news Potter  ;D

Your enthusiasm positively SHINES  8)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 17:45:14 »
[quote author=potterfanpete link=topic=29917.msg297113#msg297113 date=117578086       the average size plot is 126 square meters (about 413 feet). I would obviously need more than this (or is it not obvious??)
[/quote]

Hi Potterfan,

Although I'm a bit of an old imperialist , I'm fairly sure that a square metre is 10.5 sq ft, so that 126 square metres is about 1,300 sq ft, not 413.

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 19:03:26 »
woops! My mistake lol! I did 126 x 3 (as that how many feet are in a metre)! My mistake - thanks for rectifying :)  :-[

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 22:28:59 »
WOW!!! :o How fantastic Potter! That looks like a brilliant site, and although you've got plenty of clearing to do it looks great - look at poor Heldis plot! Is your dad on side yet?!
Your excitement shines through in your posts and it's brilliant to read. Best of luck.   ;D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 22:32:13 »
FAO Barnowl - how did you do your plan? Looks good! Mine all on paper, not mastered it on 'puter yet!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 11:24:00 »
I used MS Excel. Allowed one square per square foot . Used the border tool to outline the overall dimensions and paths, then used the textbox tool to draw the beds. Colours done by using the fill/background button. There's also a drawing tool for round shapes.

All the best with the plot Pete. Look forward to following your progress.

emmy1978

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 15:59:19 »
Thanks, looks great. Rubbish with excel but will piddle about and see what i can do. Nice on paper but you can never change anything!
Potter - meant to say - great pics!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal