Author Topic: Can I put my tomatoes outside?  (Read 1544 times)

emmak

• Not So New ...
Can I put my tomatoes outside?
« on: April 02, 2007, 11:40:41 »
Can I put my tomatoes outside under plastic bottle cloches? Ive got some in jiffy pots ready to pot on but i've lost the cover to my mini greenhouse and don't know what to do with them

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Can I put my tomatoes outside?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:05:13 »
Anything is possible but some things are improbable!

I'm not an outdoor grower, but mine don't go into the cold 'house until mid-April at the earliest &, more usually, end of May. Even then I cover with fleece.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:05:31 »
Better than without a cloche... where are you? I won't be putting mine out until May at the earliest...
 :-\

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 12:10:29 »
If you have any windowsill space I would leave them there for a while yet, mine won't be going out for another 4 weeks at least!

If you can't do that maybe you could try fleecing them but it is better to safe than sorry as you may lose the lot :o
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 14:05:50 »
It's far too early to put them out. Mine will be going into the mini-greenhouses once we've got past the chilly nights, then out into final positions under cloches around the end of May. my current cloches will have to come off by mid-June as they're too small, but I spotted bigger ones in B&Q the other day which would keep them going until the first ones start fruiting. Maybe next year.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 14:09:55 by Robert_Brenchley »

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 15:15:35 »
It's too early yet. Allowing for global warming, East Anglia would be mid May for planting outside. You could take a chance with them under cloches and as said before, cover them with fleece overnight. Don't do this before beginning of May. As we have had three frosts in March, we can expect three frosts in May. It may be different in your area.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 18:07:23 »
I wouldn't ,even if they don't die , and bear in mind even a very light frost will kill them,they cannot grow in temps of less than 12c/ 54f, they just stop. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal