Author Topic: Allotment Visit  (Read 5648 times)

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
Allotment Visit
« on: April 01, 2007, 15:12:39 »
Hi all,

I am planning to go and take a look, with my dad, at an allotment site 5 minutes drive away in a few days. Is there anything that I should do while I'm there, and are there any questions we MUST ask??? Thanks :)

Pete

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Allotment Visit
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 15:33:16 »
Do a search here & you'll see the advice given to others....certainly look for the nearness of the water supply..

And good luck.

...and why aren't you out squashing the squashes into your patch, btw?  ;D Lovely weather today, isn't it? Where's the allotment site you're going to look at?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 16:07:53 »
1) What is the Annual rent?
2) Are you permitted sheds & greenhouses on the plot?
3) Type of Security - if any. Some are open plan.
4) Road access - for getting manure dropped off.
5) Is there any water on site - taps or some even have old small wells.
6) What is the policy on fires? Most sites have strict timings, some dont allow it.
7) If you hope to get hens - are they allowed. Most sites restrict the number of plots for livestock.
8) Does it flood?
9) What type of soil is it? Some are more clay meaning things can be more difficult, or need more effort (on your part) to grow.

These are just a few. I am sure there will be more.

As you are visiting - depending on how long you have been on a waiting list, if it is not exactly what you want - it could be worth taking the plot anyway and changing to a different one in a year or two should you decide to do so. I have changed twice in recent years, and am now on an excellent plot. Easier to move in-house than go back on another waiting list. ;)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 16:11:46 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 17:30:59 »
Take a look around as well at how others plots are. You can usually tell even at this time of year wether the ground is productive or not. Also look for marestail. You just dont want a plot with marestail
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 18:21:45 »
I'm not squashing squashes as they've only just come up :D Yeah, it's been one of the best weeks as far as weatheris concered this year...supposed to be evn better next week! The exact location of the site is Bridge Street, Enfield, Redditch, WORCS - don't know if any knows where that is lol! Thanks for thehelp ktlawson - am just writing down those questions/pointers - shirlton - what does marestail look like? will try and look for it if I can find out what it looks like!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 18:25:21 »
looks like little christmas trees, pete, hope you find what you're looking for  :)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 19:26:09 »
Good luck Pete... is your Dad taking it on? Some sites have rules about juniors..
Technically we don't let to anyone under 14..
 ???

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 19:27:33 »
are we working on mental or physical ages??

Pete dont forget the camra!!

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 19:46:01 »
lol cambourne! My dad's going to rent it, but I'll be using it mainly...I certainly won't be looking for marestail then - can it also be called horsetail? sounds similar. Thanks for the help all - will let you know the result. Have yet to be given an appointment yet, but will let you know when I'm going to be going. Thanks :)

Pete

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 19:49:51 »
Technically it is Horsetail Pete, Marestail is aquatic but without getting all botanical and in latin we all know what we mean...
If it was mental age Cam we would be looking for a lot of new members and a whole new committee...
 ;D

stocko75

• Quarter Acre
  • my beautiful children
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 20:15:26 »
hi there im in redditch too!!!! im up at walkwood,never even heard of bridge st. good luck!!

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 14:35:01 »
PFP

Don't bother looking for marestail as here in sunny London it isn't above ground level yet!

The best was to check for it at present is to lift any carpet and shoots/roots with spurs at right angles, often with a black cover. Break it and if it looks cellualr in cross section it is probably marestail, most other roots look solid.

I don't find it a big problem but just know I will never be rid of it!

OC

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 18:56:06 »
Thanks the advice on marestail all, and everythig else! I'm getting really excited now - am going to look at the site tommorow as 3:45pm - I can't wait! I'll post my findings an pictures on here as soon as I get back so you can all have a good nosy and give me your opinions. I'll probably have an answer out of dad as to whether we can get an allotment or not by Thursday, so will start a new thread if the answer's yes! I can't wait - wish me luck :)

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 18:59:37 »
Got my fingers crossed for you Pete..
 :)

TEL

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 19:04:56 »
hope you get your wish Pete ;D

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 14:45:47 »
Thanks all for your help and support. Less than an hour to go - am getting really excited now!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 17:22:27 »
just found this thread.
PFP: are you an allotmenteer yet?!?

potterfanpete

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 17:26:10 »
am just writing an essay on our visit - don't know about that yet, but the answer is probably yes! keep an eye out for the new topic I'm just doing which has the notes of the site on it

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal